Stretched dungeon corridor

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MuninnCrow

Stretched dungeon corridor

Post by MuninnCrow »

I encountered an interesting glitch while traversing a random dungeon (I'm sorry I don't have the name on hand). One of the corridors' walls were horribly stretched, while the floor and ceiling were fine.
I have attached it for your viewing.
Attachments
DaggerfallUnity_DungeonCorridorStretch.png
DaggerfallUnity_DungeonCorridorStretch.png (195.72 KiB) Viewed 4514 times

Interkarma

Re: Stretched dungeon corridor

Post by Interkarma »

G'day MuninnCrow, welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for your bug report. There are still a few edge cases where my texture conversions fail, but there are also many places where the UV coordinates in Daggerfall's files are simply bad. This one (stretching/skewing) probably falls into the latter, but it's hard to tell without knowing the spot.

Please let me know if you encounter the problems again. If you're playing one of the more recent demos, you should be able to use L to turn on debug text and see the location.

All the best!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

some more such cases I encountered are:
  • some windows of houses are forged and repeated (this case was recently reported in some other forum thread)
  • there is a hedge texture which also seems to be fucked up
  • basically every mages guild has wall textures with wrong texture mapped textures - e.g. on pillars - vanilla daggerfall correctly maps those textures

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, it's a mix of issues. The repeated windows are something I need to fix, but the hedge textures are like that in game (along with many, many other spots). I wasn't aware of the mages guild, thanks for the spot. :)

I see these minor problems being cleaned up over time, especially once texture swaps become a feature. Fix requires a blend of correcting UV generation errors in my code and post-fixing incorrect UVs in game files.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma, would it make sense for someone to start making/maintaining a large "todo" file somewhere, either on the forums or on a Pastebin? It could include links to each of the minor details that have popped up over the last several months, which are probably too disparate to look up quickly.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I maintain an internal TODO pile, but I see the value in having something public and searchable. I have reviewed a few options for this and would like to get this sorted after the first release of Daggerfall Unity. It's definitely in my sights.