White screen and cursor on startup in Linux Mint

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
CrazyEyes

White screen and cursor on startup in Linux Mint

Post by CrazyEyes »

Hello. I'm running Linux Mint 19. I haven't had any issues running anything that can run on Ubuntu, but Daggerfall Unity doesn't want to start up for me. I tried to track down issues that were similar to mine, where other users would see a black screen and cursor on startup because the MyDaggerfallPath was not set to the correct location. However, I can see in the Player.log file that it appears to find everything without any issues. I can hear music playing when I start up, but the screen is totally white underneath the blue cursor. My gut tells me this is something simple and I just can't pin it down.

Please find below my full Player.log output:
https://pastebin.com/yrT1Yck2

The only thing that seems like it might be an error is the "DFTFU 1.7.7: Could not locate TextManager GameObject instance in scene!" line near the bottom, but the only other user I could find who had mentioned seeing that line was seeing totally unrelated symptoms to mine.
Another thing I noticed is that the MyDaggerfallUnitySavePath isn't populated. I've tried deleting the settings.ini file, but the Unity application always loads up with a white screen so I don't think there's any opportunity for me to interact with the setup wizard and set it. However, I'm not sure which path to specify here, exactly. I noticed in the manual it is mentioned that Unity saves go in the "Saves" folder of the "local data path," but I'm unsure which data path that refers to. The one which is local to the application itself? Or the one which is local to my user, in the /.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity/Unity folder? Judging by the naming scheme of the other folders in that directory, it's the one local to the application. Either way, setting the path didn't resolve my problem.

If it helps, I have played other Unity games successfully on this machine, such as Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Jay_H

Re: White screen and cursor on startup in Linux Mint

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

With my scanty understanding, this sounds very similar to the topic posted here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1290&start=10#p15929. The feedback you're providing may be a clue to resolving it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey thankyou for the feedback. This issue cropped up after changing build target to Unity 2018.2.11f1. I opted not to delay builds, as I had fairly mixed responses from other Linux users about it.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon once we have a few more eyes on it. Cheers.

If you'd like to try and workaround it, I found this helped when I was able to reproduce. This is part of the thread Jay linked above, I just wanted to highlight it.
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... =20#p15962

CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Oh. Sorry for posting a duplicate report, but unfortunately the forum search seems to be a bit trigger-happy on the word filtering so I don't think it allowed me to search for "white screen" properly. I'm glad that the issue is known and only cropped up in this build.
Your workaround worked! Thanks for the help. It looks like I'll have to modify the .ini if I want to change settings but that's not a big deal.