cant proceed through main quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Levethian

Re: cant proceed through main quest

Post by Levethian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Thank you kindly Interkarma :-). Looking good.

Levethian

Post by Levethian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Looking less good ohnu!

Began 'Emperor's Courier' again, proceeded as normal until waiting for courier to appear at designated palace.

I was then unable to rest because 'enemies were nearby' - usually this prevents access to the rest-menu, but here I was able to type no. of hours to rest. This happened everywhere, in town, just after travelling etc. Only quitting & re-opening the game fixed this. BUT then 'Emperor's Courier' vanished from my logs.

I went through this process twice.
Eap.

EDIT: Quitting & reloading and quitting & reloading appears to have fixed things... LO, SHE STANDS BEFORE ME THIS VERY INSTANT. Sneaky-weaky courier.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Glad you got there eventually! My strategy for the courier is to arrive a couple of days beforehand and rent a tavern room. Then just rest or do town business until the date and pop in to meet the courier.

While it wouldn't match classic, a personal part of me would like to simply a few of these critical quests to remove arbitrary time limits and other pressures. The Emperor's Courier is a famously problematic quest just by design alone. I don't understand why it was designed this way, when many other main-story quests have no real time pressures.

Finding that balance between keeping things like classic (which is often brutal and unfair) and making things clearer and more stable is a difficult balance to find. There's unlikely to be a point that satisfies absolutely everyone though. :(