Any way to remove dead bodies?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Prester Lewin

Any way to remove dead bodies?

Post by Prester Lewin »

Is there a DFU console command (equivalent to disable in Skyrim) or other relatively simple way to remove a dead body that's got left behind in my house, or will it disappear eventually of its own accord?

I was doing the coven quest A Great Errand, which seems to work like classic DF in spawning random enemies from time to time, in addition to the usual dungeon enemies. After visiting 2 of the 3 dungeons, I went back to town to sell off loot and rest in my house. A zombie disturbed my beauty sleep, I killed it and hoped it would get cleaned up by the end of the quest, but now I have this dead undead on the floor of my living room and it doesn't match my decor.

[I'm not sure the random spawn should have materialised in my house; they maybe should only appear in dungeons. Other than that, the quest worked well, although I only got one ingredient reward, rather than the 3 you got in classic, according to UESP.]

Interkarma

Re: Any way to remove dead bodies?

Post by Interkarma »

Quest spawns do not currently get cleared at end of quest, that's a limitation/bug in quest system at this time.

From the sounds of it, the world serialisation system has made those bodies permanent as your house is a zone where loot containers are persisted, and lootable corpses are just gory loot containers.

I'll take a look at this and implement a fix of some kind to help.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Thanks, but it's not really a big deal and I'm sure you've got much bigger priorities. I feel it was my fault because I could easily have rolled back to my previous save, which only would have cost me a few minutes of lost play at most, if I'd done it at the time. In any case, I can probably clear it by cleaning out my cupboards, selling the house and then buying it back, or I could just move to a new town!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 pm Quest spawns do not currently get cleared at end of quest, that's a limitation/bug in quest system at this time.

From the sounds of it, the world serialisation system has made those bodies permanent as your house is a zone where loot containers are persisted, and lootable corpses are just gory loot containers.

I'll take a look at this and implement a fix of some kind to help.
How are you thinking of handling this? If you want the scene cache manager to cull corpses in permanent scenes after 24 hours I'm happy to add that, but if you have a better idea where quest can clean up then I'll leave that to you.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

What I'm thinking is just a console command to clear empty corpses. Prester Lewin can then loot the bodies and run the console command to delete them.

At some point, the quest system will be fixed to clear bodies once the quest is completed. This might have impact on the cache manager, but it's not something I'm looking at in the short term.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

BTW Hazelnut, your suggestion is perfectly fine. I'm happy for you to implement that if you have the time and would like to put that in. :)

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Why not an in-game cleaning service that cleans your house (i.e. removes corpses) for a fee? It would be more immersive!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Knowing Daggerfall, a corpse removal business would be lucrative :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

In Morrowind, when looting a corpse, there's a "Dispose of corpse" button that auto-loots and gets rid of Mr. Boddy.

Might not be to everyone's taste, but it's an idea. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

PS: I seem to have successfully edited my zombie housemate out of the save file, so I'm happy now. :fingerscrossed:

Now I'll see about getting back my ingredient stocks that "disappeared" from my ship a couple of builds ago. :falsesenseofempowerment: