Can't find the NPC who wants to talk to me

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
johnwax

Can't find the NPC who wants to talk to me

Post by johnwax »

#138 X32 - This has happened three times. I'm given a Mage Guild quest to hunt down and kill a rogue mage. But, I'm told, someone local wants to talk to me first. I go outside the hall and start asking around for the local. In the conversation tree you normally click 'general' under 'where is' and the name you want pops up so you can ask. Only 'Castle Daggerfall' pops up, not the NPC name. So I went to Castle Daggerfall and checked around - no joy. I even thought he might be hiding in the Guild Hall, so I checked there. Again no joy. I finally give up and go after the bad guy. I find and kill him. Then there is another strange twist - the quest is listed as complete in my notebook, but the quest giver never pay me! Maybe the NPC I couldn't find was the paymaster?

Jay_H

Re: Can't find the NPC who wants to talk to me

Post by Jay_H »

Could you upload a save game? That'll help us get to the problem quickly.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's not enough information to troubleshoot this one just yet. Moving to Help & Support until more information is provided and confirmed as a bug.

Johnwax, I appreciate you taking the time to log bugs, but we need more details. Please review the bug report guidelines and some of the other topics in Bug Reports to see examples of what's needed. At minimum, please tell us the name of the quest you are having trouble with, as shown by the Quest Debugger. A screenshot of quest state with the debugger open to that quest, and especially a save game, would be most helpful. Thank you. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Also, please be aware that the quests are not finished yet - they're in a mostly working state, but there's a lot of polishing and testing to do. The obviously broken are not offered, but there are many that none of the devs have tested that are still. (that was my decision) It's really useful & helpful to get data about specific quests and the issues they have, which can feed into finishing them off when we get to it. (probably sometime next year)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

I'm sorry but I don't have a save. I've done some quests since and they were overwritten (I only keep 9 saves). When this happens again I'll zip a save at the point where the problem occurs. Sorry again - mea culpa.

The quest debugger looks interesting. Where do I get it?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Press shift-tab
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods