So the snowy city ground is switching between a modded texture, and stock

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Narf the Mouse

So the snowy city ground is switching between a modded texture, and stock

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I'm not sure which mod it is, or I'd post in the thread for it. :)

Anyway, the ground texture in the city flickers between the modded texture, and stock. The flickering is based on the position of the player. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's the stock ground texture visible from one position:
Stock ground.jpg
Stock ground.jpg (316.97 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Which is replaced by the modded texture if you move about a metre backward:
Modded ground.jpg
Modded ground.jpg (306 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

King of Worms

Re: So the snowy city ground is switching between a modded texture, and stock

Post by King of Worms »

These are my textures and I dont have any control about them causing this issue. At least im not aware of it. Lets see what others can say... thanks 4 report.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Please provide a save file if you have one.

strata

Post by strata »

Chiming in to say I've had the same issue, also with the KoW tex pack, build 139, Win64 / RX 570. Noticed it on the ground in Daggerfall city immediately after leaving PH. When I have the time I'll test w/ stock textures and see if the issue replicates.

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

personally, that always made me ca.
I left on a new install, and I removed all the mods, but it appears like that, and everywhere in the game, without flickering ....
Attachments
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-11-21-14.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-11-21-14.jpg (290.66 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-10-33-35.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-10-33-35.jpg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-10-00-43.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2018-11-26 16-10-00-43.jpg (222.94 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Cristalnoir studio

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

@thelacus: could this be related to texture compression?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Nystul wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:12 pm @thelacus: could this be related to texture compression?
Not sure, I'm not able to replicate. The issue in Cristalnoir screenshots looks more more serious than Narf the Mouse ones, I think it's worth to check if this is only because the location is different or it actually appears differently.

pango

Post by pango »

I wonder if the top of a Player.log (the part with hardware, graphic stack details, etc.) could help... Because I never experienced that either, I suspect a driver issue
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Actually, I have experienced the same. Disabling the Realtime Reflections mod solved the issue for me.

I thought it is a commonly known problem: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... 100#p16974

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ifkopifko wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm I thought it is a commonly known problem: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... 100#p16974
yes when realtime reflections mod is enabled this is a known issue.

but Cristalnoir reported that he did not activate any mods:
Cristalnoir wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 pm I left on a new install, and I removed all the mods, but it appears like that, and everywhere in the game, without flickering ....
what I can think of is this: realtime reflections uses the texture replacement mechanism to change (add) metallic gloss map textures for ground tiles. so if it is not exclusive to realtime reflections (if it is it is likely a shader regression bug or a material injection issue due to new unity version) then I would guess something in the texture replacment mechanism does not work as expected.

@Cristalnoir: can you please verify again that the mod is not active when you experience the issues?

update: new version of realtime reflections (2.2.1) should work with newest builds - get it from the mod thread (https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... 721#p17721) - so maybe this fixes all problems then it was only a mod related problem - otherwise we will have to further investigate