Dead body flat covering quest item

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Prester Lewin

Dead body flat covering quest item

Post by Prester Lewin »

I'm raising this in help & support and not bugs because I assume it's a known possibility and perhaps it always was, in classic, too (although it would be difficult to recreate). Perhaps it's WIP.

Simple issue to explain: I killed an enemy while on a quest to retrieve a basilisk eye. I didn't spot the basilisk eye on the floor, otherwise I'd have lured the enemy away. Now the dead body flat is hiding the quest object. I had to use the console tele2qitem to find it.

That's not great, but now I know where it is, I can't pick it up. I've tried clicking from every angle. Even when I see it (and it looks a bit weird, if you recall the graphic for a basilisk's eye, because it appears between the thighs of the dead body), DFU tells me I'm selecting the dead body. I've had near misses of this kind before, but this one won't let me complete the quest.

I know there's a console command I could use to give myself all quest items, or I could tombstone the quest, but that can't be a valid long-term answer, so is this WIP? If so, is there a way to get the item without using either of those console commands?

Interkarma

Re: Dead body flat covering quest item

Post by Interkarma »

The console command to give quest items in this case might not help, as quest probably needs you to click on the world object normally to progress script. YMMV so see how you go.

What's happening here is the sphere colliders for world object and corpse are close enough together that you can only click on corpse's collider. Another case where pesky corpses get in the way of adventuring. :)

I'll have a think on this and add something later today.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

A really simple solution would be to remove the corpse loot container. If player clicks on the icon in inventory window it could ask for confirmation to delete the corpse from the world. There's already a click handler for changing icons for player created loot containers. Just a thought if you can't come up with something more elegant...
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for suggestion. Unfortunately, user won't be able to click icon in inventory window if corpse contains no treasure.

My solution is just to disable collider on corpse when body contains no treasure and player has seen the "this body contains no treasure" message once. There's no advantage to spam-clicking empty corpses, the player can be confident they've looted the corpse, and the body stops being an obstacle for looting anything under it (even other corpses one I stop them stacking like firewood). That seems fairly elegant and in-world.

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Thanks for your help.

For info, getallquestitems did work for me and the quest completed without any visible hitch.