No path between dungeon blocks - cheat required to complete [GAME-DATA RELATED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Re: Quest bug daggerfallunity_windows_x64-62

Post by pango »

I haven't seen any teleporters in that dungeon...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Re: Quest bug daggerfallunity_windows_x64-62

Post by jayhova »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 pm Did you check for teleporters?
I'm also pretty sure none exist.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Re: No path between dungeon blocks - cheat required to complete [GAME-DATA RELATED]

Post by Interkarma »

I can confirm the following:
  • Dungeon Wayrest\The Hold of Ashford has only two interior blocks - Wx18 (0,0) and Nx57 (1,0). This places blocks in an east-west configuration relative to each other.
  • There are the usual geomorph links between these blocks from either side, but links on both sides terminate with a dead-end in the block interior. There is no traversal route between them I can see.
  • There are no teleporters in the game data for these blocks - which wouldn't help much anyway as teleporters only transfer player around within the same block. The problem is traversing blocks from east to west.
  • This dungeon is essentially non-viable in an east-west configuration. Either block would be fine if adjacent to a different block, or in a larger dungeon with more routes, or even if these blocks were placed in a different config such as north-south. They might even be fine with blocks swapped around.
We all know Daggerfall's dungeon design has some impossible configurations, and this is unfortunately one of them. If we can start curating a list dungeons with invalid configurations, it might be possible to come up with some general solution for them down the road. At the moment, this is just one of the many little errors inherited from the game data.

jayhova

Re: No path between dungeon blocks - cheat required to complete [GAME-DATA RELATED]

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 pm I can confirm the following:
  • Dungeon Wayrest\The Hold of Ashford has only two interior blocks - Wx18 (0,0) and Nx57 (1,0). This places blocks in an east-west configuration relative to each other.
  • There are the usual geomorph links between these blocks from either side, but links on both sides terminate with a dead-end in the block interior. There is no traversal route between them I can see.
  • There are no teleporters in the game data for these blocks - which wouldn't help much anyway as teleporters only transfer player around within the same block. The problem is traversing blocks from east to west.
  • This dungeon is essentially non-viable in an east-west configuration. Either block would be fine if adjacent to a different block, or in a larger dungeon with more routes, or even if these blocks were placed in a different config such as north-south. They might even be fine with blocks swapped around.
We all know Daggerfall's dungeon design has some impossible configurations, and this is unfortunately one of them. If we can start curating a list dungeons with invalid configurations, it might be possible to come up with some general solution for them down the road. At the moment, this is just one of the many little errors inherited from the game data.
So I get credit for this right? There is a scoreboard where we get points for discovering bugs, correct?

So I'm gonna say what I said the day I started playing Daggerfall right after it came out. Bring back Passwall.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.