Bug causing menu and in game UI/Text to become invisible

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
snakefist202

Bug causing menu and in game UI/Text to become invisible

Post by snakefist202 »

I loaded up the daggerfall unity launcher and set up my game and when I started a new game and was choosing my race noticed that all the text boxes were blank and no buttons appeared either. The menus still functioned as they should however. I didn't change any video options besides my resolution. This is not fixed by reinstalling either daggerfall or daggerfall unity.

I have no clue what this could be but if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

Jay_H

Re: Bug causing menu and in game UI/Text to become invisible

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome! :)

What version are you using to install DFU? The main ones are Bethesda, GOG, and Daggerfall Setup.

snakefist202

Post by snakefist202 »

I am using the version that comes with the elder scrolls anthology which I presume is the Bethesda version.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Could you please attach a screenshot and a zipped copy of your output log for review? That should help me see what's failing.

Also try grabbing the DaggerfallGameFiles.zip from Live Builds page and point Daggerfall Unity to those files after extracting. You can select a different file location by hitting "restart" in top-left of startup UI and browsing to new files. Let me know how you go.

And welcome to the forums. :)

occult_headology

Post by occult_headology »

Hey interkarma,
any update on this issue, I am having the same problem with the ES Anthology box set. I've downloaded the zip file you mentioned but I am still having the issue of invisible text.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

This is an old topic, and OP did not return with screenshot and a log file as requested. There can be no further updates at this time.

Firstly, let's ensure you've re-installed game correctly. Please try again using the below steps:
  • Go to your persistent data path and delete settings.ini. This is important to reset game settings to default.
  • Download known-good "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds. Unzip this somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall"
  • Download latest version of Daggerfall Unity and unzip somewhere else like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity". Do not extract Daggerfall Unity on top of your game files, or on top of any previous version. Always unzip each release of DFU to its own unique folder.
  • When you next run Daggerfall Unity it should start the setup process again. Point it to the known-good game files, e.g. "C:\Games\Daggerfall".
If you still experience problems, please attach some screenshots so I can see what's happening and a zipped copy of your output log. Output log location varies by platform, you'll find more information about persistent data path and output log location in the bug report guidelines topic. Cheers!

occult_headology

Post by occult_headology »

All good,
Going through this installation instead of the anthology disc seems to have resolved the issue.
Many thanks!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great, thank you for letting me know that helped. :)

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the anthology to test with, which is why I don't list it on the Live Builds page. Compatibility is basically unknown. My preference is DaggerfallSetup or DaggerfallGameFiles as sources of game data for DFU.

It's likely an easy fix if someone can show me some screenshots of issue and provide a copy of output log after reproducing.

Apocrypher00

Post by Apocrypher00 »

I decided to pick this up as I am currently dealing with the same issue. I deleted everything for daggerfall (installed from the anthology) and daggerfall unity, then I reinstalled. I started DaggerfallUnity.exe and I was able to complete the initial config. Everything worked until I reached the race selection screen, like the other users. Clicking any province (except cyrodiil) brings up a blank box and nothing else happens (Capture1.png). At this point I can hit esc a couple times and exit. The output after this point is "output_log1.txt". If I start DaggerfallUnity.exe again I am stuck with the screen in "Capture2.png". I have tried leaving it at this stage for at least 12 hours so I am fairly certain it doesn't progress beyond this point. I can hit the empty box at the bottom of the screen to exit. The output after this point is "output_log2.txt".

**Disclaimer: I only found this project a couple days ago and I have never played the original game so I'm not sure what is supposed to happen. If you need anything else or even a copy of the anthology edition, please let me know.

Side note, the anthology version seems to have a different file structure from the others.

Edit: I got it to work fine with DaggerfallGameFiles.zip, so its not my machine.
Attachments
Results.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 83 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Apocrypher00 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 pm Side note, the anthology version seems to have a different file structure from the others.
Yes, this appears to be a common element in some bug reports. Thanks for checking it out. Maybe the install instructions for DFU will need a warning about it if this behavior persists.