Build#139: Can't run setup

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kahel

Build#139: Can't run setup

Post by Kahel »

Hey, I unzipped DaggerfallUnity_Windows_x86 #139 on a folder and launched the .exe, I hear a music for like 1 second and I got a black screen with a cursor and some UI elements
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (12.43 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
I tried to launch it on my both harddisk, on many different directories, admin rights...

pango

Re: Build#139: Can't run setup

Post by pango »

You can attach your "Player.log" file? (that may not be mentioned, but it needs to be zipped to be accepted by the forums)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kahel

Post by Kahel »

Of course
UPDATE: I deleted Daggerfall Workshop and it works... at least I can access the setup menu even if I can click the "ok" button but that's another issue, thanks!
Attachments
output_log.zip
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

pango

Post by pango »

I think there's some issue with the installation of Daggerfall classic

Code: Select all

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Int32].ContainsKey (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallConnect.Arena2.FactionFile.ParseFactions (System.String txt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallConnect.Arena2.FactionFile.Load (System.String filePath, FileUsage usage, Boolean readOnly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
(and lots of different other crashes)
What version did you install? Version from Bethesda, GOG, UESP/Wiwiland installer...?

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.7.7: MyDaggerfallPath | D:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Daggerfall
(I assume some version from Bethesda)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kahel

Post by Kahel »

Just installed the universal version (on the drive), it's working now

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums Kahel. :)

As Pango says, your classic Daggerfall installation isn't is in good shape. Specifically, the FACTION.TXT file is in an unpatched or otherwise incorrect format.

I recommend downloading "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds page and using those game files instead.

Would it be possible to grab a zipped copy of your FACTION.TXT file from your current install? This file probably causes us the most troubles in terms of incompatible installs, so I'd like to add a validation step to the startup UI and some extra protections during bootstrap so the game at least doesn't crash when handed bad faction data. Cheers!

Edit: Sounds like you've already resolved, awesome! :)