Movement slippery

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MinerOfWorlds

Movement slippery

Post by MinerOfWorlds »

It's like I'm on ice in 0.5 but in older versions it was fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Interkarma

Re: Movement slippery

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

Please review the Bug Report Guidelines for some tips on making good bug reports. Help & Support is the best place to ask a question related to gameplay.

You can tune movement acceleration from startup UI > Advanced > Movement Acceleration. Setting this to 10.0 will disable movement acceleration completely. Otherwise a variable amount of acceleration will be applied depending on your setting.

movement-acceleration.jpg
movement-acceleration.jpg (477.69 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I had noticed this a while back but I'm usually too busy testing some specific system to pay attention. I think I was trying to jump on an altar and kept flying off the other side of it every time. Guess it was less about acceleration and more about deceleration. :)

What values make movement match classic? Are they the defaults?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Classic has no slip whatsoever, which made it sort of maddening when you were trying to inch over a cliff and your character leaped forward half a meter. The slipperiness is a QOL improvement in reality. Therefore, classic is 10.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:09 am I had noticed this a while back but I'm usually too busy testing some specific system to pay attention. I think I was trying to jump on an altar and kept flying off the other side of it every time. Guess it was less about acceleration and more about deceleration. :)

What values make movement match classic? Are they the defaults?
Setting it to 10.0 disables movement acceleration completely, this includes deceleration. Classic uses no movement acceleration so 10.0 is the best setting for that. 10.0 has been the default for a while.

But keep in mind that having some acceleration allows you to make shorter jumps from shorter movement impulses, a QoL improvement unique to Daggerfall Unity. With this set to 10.0, you can only make full jumps forwards like in classic. This sometimes makes it difficult to jump with precision onto certain targets as in classic.

I prefer at least some acceleration/deceleration (around 8.5-9.0) so I have more control over the forward distance I'm jumping. You can also nudge your character up to edges with more fine control with some amount of acceleration, rather than plunge over as Jay describes above.

Acceleration/deceleration is a QoL feature, but not everyone will be happy with the same defaults. Just mess with the slider until you find a setting you like! :)

MinerOfWorlds

Post by MinerOfWorlds »

Now i feel like an idiot...Thanks for the help though!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's no problem. All the best! :D