Mage Guild Questor Won't Talk

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jfcaron

Mage Guild Questor Won't Talk

Post by jfcaron »

I accidentally posted this in the Resolved subforum. I cannot delete posts, please move this to the regular Bug Reports forum or delete this post for me. Thanks.

I am playing on OSX 10.13.6, using build #139.

I have completed a Mage's Guild quest to guard overnight in the Daggerfall guild hall, but the guy who gives the quest won't talk to me at all anymore. The other guild members do. I tried restarting the game & reloading, and it's during guild open hours.

I've attached a save file and my Player.log file. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
Player.log.zip
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
SAVE24.zip
(314.13 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Hazelnut

Re: Mage Guild Questor Won't Talk

Post by Hazelnut »

Moved the topic for you. :)

This is probably something with the quest execution, it probably doesn't think the quest is finished. Thanks for the savefile, will check it when we can.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

Is this likely to be fixed in such a way that I can continue this game? I was trying to get rep from the Mage's Guild so I could buy or make magic items to get spell resistance/absorbption for the last 2 quests of the game. I might instead use the console to give myself rep.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's almost certainly caused by the quest still running. Thank you for the save. :)

You can use console to terminate the quest (ensure this quest is the one displayed in quest debugger and use "enddebugquest" from console). This should just kill the quest without it being considered a failure, and you shouldn't lose rep.

Just so you know, Spell Resistance (and Reflection) are still TODO on the effect roadmap. Spell Absorption is done though.

I'll be looping back and working on these effects sometime over my xmas break.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Awesome - looking forward to messing with more effects after Christmas!

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

I couldn't tell which was the Mage's guild quest, but there was only one "Running" quest that wasn't a named main quest...

I killed it with the debug command and now I have -100 rep with the Mage's guild.

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

I fixed it with the debug command "guildrank MagesGuild 3". I had to guess the name of the guild for debug command purposes. Can you add the list of guilds to the text printed by "help guildrank"? I couldn't find the FactionFile.GuildGroups enum in github...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You have 2x Mages Guild quests in that save.
  • N0B20Y05 - A Dangerous Wizard (kill a wizard in dungeon). This one is completed successfully.
  • N0B10Y03 - Guard the Guild (protect guild from invasion). This one is the active quest stopping you from speaking with quest-giver.
Your instance of the guard the guild quest appears to have started in a build of Daggerfall Unity prior to December 12, as the quest is actually located in Fighters Guild (see debugger). This bug was only very recently fixed and makes the quest impossible to complete.

Best recourse at this time is just to kill the quest as you already have. Apologies this deducts rep, I couldn't recall the behaviour of console command.

When you can, grab a #140 Dec 12 build from Live Builds page. Guild selection for quest N0B10Y03 has been resolved in #140 and later. Note this will only fix new instances of the quest, not older instances already in save games.

As this is related to a known and resolved bug, I'll move into Help & Support.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have a similar issue. I talk to a guard in a mages guild and the dialog box comes up unpopulated. In addition there is no mouse so in order to get out of the menu I have to hit esc.
SAVE10.zip
(224.88 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

In my case I did not get a blank dialog box, I just got no response from clicking on the guy.