[Solved]Several issues (Quests/stats/new game)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Anti

[Solved]Several issues (Quests/stats/new game)

Post by Anti »

Hello people !
I'd never played Daggerfall before and it's all thanks to the awesome job you've been doing with this jewel. I longed for this game but couldn't bring myself to play it because my poor eyes or smt... Anyway, you're great !

However I wish to continue this experience, I have some issues I wish/need to fix.

What I have installed :
- DaggerfallSetup-2.14.1 -> checked the box for all Unofficial fix
- Unity 0.7.2 (interkarma-daggerfall-unity-daggerfallunity_windows_x86-146)
- Bunch of mods :
CharcoalGhosts1.1
Convenient Clock 1.02
DREAM
EnhancedSky_2.1.1
FancyVitalIndicators
Handpainted models v142b
Mountain And Hills 1.01
RealGrass_2.3.1
VibrantWind_v0.5_
persistent dungeons
AXO MAGE PACK AiO 1.0
dfunity-questpacks-master (I have \DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\QuestPacks\JH )

So my first problem concerns starting a new game.
When the game first starts (either dungeon beginning or outside), I am unable to move, unable to open any menu, and the display goes from shady to bright as if I am blinking. Very slowly. It never ends. I found a way around with the F9 key, which works (F1-F4 keys also work for what it matters), then closing the game, and loading the quicksave. It's not a very inconvenient issue because I don't exactly create a new character every hour, but it might be related with my other issues.

My second problem is that I can't take on quests/works.
After the first quickload, I am asked if I want to start the main quest, and I say Yes. However, there are no quest in my log (but perhaps it is normal).
When I ask people around for work, and finally get to the people I am pointed to, they don't have any work and point me to other people (they all end up directing me to each other for work). I decided to join the Mage Guild. I have a "Get Quest" option (which has a different font from the rest) but it doesn't do anything. I tried with a Temple and I am having the same problem there. I don't have the requirement for Fighter Guild so didn't try. Other button in the game with the same neat font either work or give me a message in answer like I am not VIP member yet.
However, I got a letter from Thieve Guild and it was a quest in my log. I could complete it and become a member. There has been no map marker indicator whatsoever as I've seen some members talk about but I can live without that.

My last problem has to do with attributes and skills.
Basically, what I pick at character creation doesn't serve any purpose. My character starts with all stat at 50 and I had to edit my save files to put them the way I wanted. I've been able to also fix the skills related to my class this way too since I knew what they should be from character creation skill, but not the rest for lack of reference.

I have encountered other bugs like items duplicating themselves as ghost items, falling underground, getting disease with disease immunity but that's not game breaking and I believe they are not particularly rare.
As far as my main concerns go, I couldn't find answer in the forums

Is anyone familiar or able to help my troubles ?
Last edited by Anti on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: Several issues (Quests/stats/new game)

Post by King of Worms »

Charcoal Ghosts - are a part of the latest version of DREAM, dont use both.
I would not use Fancy vital indicators, because in DREAM there are upscaled versions of those indicators, so again, its duplicate.
Axo mage pack - again, its in my DREAM :) its written in the credits - another duplicate

Try getting rid of these 3 mods and lets see what happens

pango

Post by pango »

Actually, start with no mods, check if it works, and only then try adding mods one by one.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well, that makes the most sense, true :)
2nd step is what I described, dont use redundant/duplicate mods...

I downloaded the DFSetup 2.14.1 and Im not sure if for example "DOS32 adv dos extender" is good thing to install. But it most probably doesnt matter..

Honestly... it would be great to have a DFSetup guide for use with DFU. I never saw it...

ftr89wgbtf4

Post by ftr89wgbtf4 »

Last edited by ftr89wgbtf4 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm Actually, start with no mods, check if it works, and only then try adding mods one by one.
This, definitely. We want to help but it's going to be impossible with that many mods activated at the same time. Either start with zero and add one at a time, or start where you are and subtract one at a time until the problem changes.

And welcome to the forums! :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I triggered this problem, or one very similar to it, by using the 0.7.3 edition of Quest Pack 1. Anti, did you install the 0.7.3 version or 0.7.2?

Anti

Post by Anti »

Thank you all for the help ! Greatly appreciated.

Actually, I am used to playing with mods with later tes games, so I did try first "without" mod...almost.
I was worried that I would have issues starting a game without the questpack, so I added it before my first run.
Then I had the graphic issue on starting a new game. For me, it was a graphic thing, unrelated. I was wrong.
I did as I should have and as you told me too, and started the game without any mod at all this time.
And it was working perfectly fine for the two things I have tested :A
1/ starting a new game. No graphic issues, no attribute/skill issue, and main quest added to journal.
2/ loading current save, taking a quest at the guild mage branch.

Then I tried with all mods except questpack which I had added on my very first run. Everything is working fine.
Then I tried again as I did first, that is loading only questpack and no other mod, all the issues are present.

So now that I know who's the culprit, what do I do with it ? I assumed that I would not have access to any quest without it but it doesn't seem to be the case at all. Must I play without if I can't fix this ? Is there some kind of problem with the "Unofficials quests packs" from the Daggerfall Setup (btw I picked this one because it was the recommended one...now I suddenly feel uncomfortable about it)

Is there a way to start main quest on my oldest save or has it gone to waste ?

Edit !
Sorry I just see your post. You're right, I downloaded questpack for 0.7.3 !
I will try with 0.7.2. I wasn't paying attention to versions because I downloaded them one day apart. I assumed taking the latest mods was the smart thing to do. Onto 0.7.2 questpack then.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Very good, I'm glad it was as I thought :)

Anti

Post by Anti »

Yep that did it, thank you very much. As for main quest if it isn't possible, I will see about merging data from old save and a clean new one. Since I didn't take on any quest, it's mostly about keeping inventory, not a problem xD

Thank you all again for the very helpful support <3