0.7.65 Crash Before Start

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
SamVision

Re: 0.7.65 Crash Before Start

Post by SamVision »

Tried latest version, deleted everything and reinstalled from scratch, same error

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for providing log, but please don't paste long logs in raw text format. Archive it to a zip file and attach the zip instead. I've saved a copy and cleaned your post. A zipped copy of your log is attached to this post for reference.

I'm not sure if this is something I can assist with as the Unity Player is crashing before Daggerfall Unity even starts up properly. This appears to be an issue specific to your environment.

When I look at your screenshot in first post, you have a 32-bit version, 64-bit version, and game data all lumped together into the one folder structure. This is not a correct setup. A cleanly extracted Daggerfall Unity setup will look like below:

clean.png
clean.png (13.85 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Whereas your setup looked like the following (from your first post):

messy.png
messy.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Each build of Daggerfall Unity should be extracted to its own folder - not combined with other versions or the game files.

The UnityPlayer.dll has the same filename for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, but is built for a different platform, so it's possible this DLL has been overwritten causing the Unity Player to crash.

Is this something you've corrected since your initial post?
Attachments
SamVision Log.zip
(4.69 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Yes I reinstalled everything from scratch and made sure to delete all left over setting files, the unity and game files are now in different folders on my C drive. The stable version still works just fine.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Perfect, cheers. :)

By any chance do you have the Citrix workspace/receiver installed? This can cause D3D11 conflict issues with Unity engine.

In the next round of builds, we've updated to a later version of Unity engine. If this is a Unity bug (which it certainly appears to be) this might be resolved in next builds.

I'm dropping new builds this weekend. If you get a chance, please give them a shot and let me know if that helped at all.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Could you please try one of the 0.7.65 test builds in below topic and let me know that helps? These are just Daggerfall Unity 0.7.65 built under Unity 2018.2.21, which contains a compatibility patch for Citrix driver problem.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1895

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Same issue, I don't think I have anything Citrix related installed unless its something Im unaware of.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a shame. It's the only Unity runtime issue I'm aware that fits your symptoms. See below link for similar topic and screenshot to yours.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/solved- ... on.599953/

Unfortunately this is going to be a Unity issue specific to your environment. All I can really recommend from here is the usual boilerplate of making sure your operating system and drivers are up to date. And it's probably worth checking your Programs & Features for any Citrix software, just to be sure.

If this does resolve itself, or you manage to find something on your end, please let us know. I'll keep collecting information from people that raise this until we have a solution.

Would it be possible to get some detailed system specs from you as well - CPU make & model, RAM, graphics card make & model & driver version, full OS version, etc. Thank you.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Someone on reddit reported that deleting the following registry key before starting game helped them.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity
Before you try deleting this registry key, please take a screenshot of the values within. And if it helps, take a second screenshot afterwards. I've love to see what's changing after values are recreated to fix the problem.

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

That did the trick, it works now. Attached is the screenshot.
Attachments
dagger reg.PNG
dagger reg.PNG (30.1 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Excellent, thank you! :) Just confirming, was that screenshot taken before deleting the keys?