0.7.65 Crash Before Start

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
SamVision

0.7.65 Crash Before Start

Post by SamVision »

I tried running the current live build and the program does not even start. I see the following thing before it closes. The stable build works fine.
Attachments
crash.png
crash.png (77.68 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Last edited by SamVision on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: 0.7.36 Crash Before Start

Post by Interkarma »

Hi SamVision! Are you the same person I was discussing this on reddit with recently, who also sent me their output logs via email?

If not, it would be great to get a copy of your output logs as well. Every bit of information is helpful.

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. :) This is the same issue as the reddit user I was in contact earlier. Core problem is that creation of some textures fail to create right at the start. Lots of errors like below.

Code: Select all

d3d11: failed to map staging 2D texture w=128 h=128 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=251 width=128 height=128 mips=1 dxgifmt=28 [D3D error was 887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource view id=251 [D3D error was 80070057]
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=253 width=128 height=128 mips=1 dxgifmt=28 [D3D error was 887a0005]
I'm not sure what changed between last stable release and current builds to cause this. Your hardware should be able to allocate these textures.

I'll start trying to isolate this when I can. At least we know error was introduced somewhere between 20-Dec and 30-Jan.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

One more thing, your Daggerfall Unity installation is a bit of a mess. :) There are game files, 32-bit files, and 64-bit files all crammed together into the one directory. It appears versions are being unzipped on top of other versions, which is known to cause issues.

It may not be the cause in this case, but just to rule this out first, I would like you to try cleaning up a bit first:
  1. Delete your existing installation (but don't touch the persistent data folder with settings.ini, saves, etc.)
  2. Download DaggerfallGameFiles zip from Live Builds and extract somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall". We don't want to do anything else with this folder, the game files always remain the same between versions.
  3. Download either the latest 32-bit or 64-bit version and extract somewhere different like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity". I use a different folder for each version (e.g. "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.7.36"). The key thing is that new versions should never be unzipped on top of old versions. These are complete builds rather than not patches.
  4. Run DaggerfallUnity.exe from new cleaned location and see if problem persists.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I think i'm having the same crash, how do i get the output log?
After running DaggerfallUnity.exe i'm not getting to the screen where i can set the path to the game.

Might be that Windows 10 "Defender" is stepping on it?
Have to click "more info" then "Run Anyway".

And on the interkarma-daggerfall-unity-daggerfallunity_windows_x64-75 version i once saw this error:

I tried going into Defender settings -> Exploit Protection ->Program settings and creating an exception for Daggerfallunity.exe; it's not very intuitive but no joy.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For anyone who might come along later - jman0war's issue was caused by the Citrix Workspaces application triggering a bug in the Unity runtime itself (unrelated to DFU). This Unity forum post discusses in more detail.

I don't know if this related to the problem OP SamVision was experiencing.

JackyCrew

Post by JackyCrew »

I everyone, I am also facing the same issue as SamVision when trying to run the last build, BUT, when I first tried to run it it worked perfectly fine, then I tried some mods, everything was ok, then I had a problem when using KOW Dream so I decided to go back to zero and reinstall DFU, and now it doesn't even want to start the launcher, it is always crashing ! The thing is, it seemed to work fine on Linux when I tried afterwards (I have a dual boot Windows 10 / Linux).

So I also tried the latest stable build but I just get the infamous black screen with cursor and the launcher itself never pops up. I noticed that it was a common issue that could be fixed in the settings.ini file but I just can't figure out where it is :roll: ...
If you guys have any idea on how I could finally get my hands on this amazing work, I would be soooo grateful ahah !

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The settings.ini file is in your persistent data path, which varies by platform. You'll find this information in the PDF manual included with Daggerfall Unity and in the bug report guidelines topic.

A black screen with a cursor at startup is usually caused by bad game data. Please follow the below steps to make sure you have the game installed cleanly and correctly.
  • Go to your persistent data path and delete settings.ini. This is important to reset game settings to defaults.
  • Download known-good "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds. Unzip this somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall"
  • Download most recent version of Daggerfall Unity from Live Builds and unzip somewhere different, like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity". Do not extract Daggerfall Unity on top of your game files, or on top of any previous version. Always unzip each release of DFU to its own unique folder.
  • When you next run Daggerfall Unity it should start the setup process again. Point it to the known-good game files, e.g. "C:\Games\Daggerfall".
If you still experience problems, please attach a zipped copy of your output log. Again, output log location varies by platform. Your log location is also listed in the manual and bug report guidelines topic linked above. Good luck!

JackyCrew

Post by JackyCrew »

My bad, I had read the manual several times before but somehow never noticed the section about the datapath...
Anyways I deleted the settings.ini and relaunched DFU (my installation was already correct) and... it worked ! Thank you soooo much for your patience and time given ;) . Your are awesome, can't wait for the next update ! Keep up the good work !

Edit : So I tried again to execute the latest build after having manually set the path to my daggerfall game files in settings.ini and the launcher crashes the way SamVision previously experienced (Stable version works very well though :D ). It seems that it also is a problem while trying to load some textures. Here is the file in case that could help :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1_Ci ... a8rwIzfub0