Quest Questions

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
xhodan

Quest Questions

Post by xhodan »

Hey guys wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I have a few questions about quests. I wanted to know exactly which ones are confirmed to be working? I recently picked up a non aligned quest from the mages guild where you're asked to go get the ancient text. I spent 5 hours running up and down the Garelaus tomb trying to find it and I was unsuccessful. I'm pretty sure this quest is bugged. Just would like to get confirmation.

xhodan

Re: Quest Questions

Post by xhodan »

Also . . .

Do any of you know whether or not choosing "avoiding diseases" in character creation nullifies critical weakness to disease?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

xhodan wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:10 pm I wanted to know exactly which ones are confirmed to be working? I recently picked up a non aligned quest from the mages guild where you're asked to go get the ancient text. I spent 5 hours running up and down the Garelaus tomb trying to find it and I was unsuccessful. I'm pretty sure this quest is bugged. Just would like to get confirmation.
Every quest currently in the game should work. They might lack one small effect or another, but anything offered to you should be completable at the least.

I'm assuming the quest is to look for an ancient scroll, starting with "Hmmph. You're not a guild member. I really shouldn't give out jobs to non-members. However, I have something that I need done that I don't really want anyone else in the guild to find out about. If you do this for me for free, I'll spread it around that you are our kind of (player's race). What do you say (player's first name)?"

When this kind of thing happens, make a save and upload it on the forums. Some of us are able to look around and see if/where the quest item spawned, if something went wrong with the quest, and so on.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Most quests are in a passing state. The quest you're mentioning sounds like An Ancient Scroll, which is marked as passing in the quest list (meaning a dev has played through it successfully). I quickly re-tested quest then and was able to complete it OK.

Did you try using "tele2qitem" to confirm the item was present in the dungeon? Sometimes they're just very hard to find (e.g. behind a secret door). It's also worth checking the quest debugger (LeftShift+Tab) to ensure your time limit hadn't expired. For this quest (N0C00Y13) the timer is called _traveltime_ - when that turns red, the quest ends.

xhodan

Post by xhodan »

wow I'm kicking myself in the butt right now... I literally searched the entire dungeon, all but that one tiny little room. Not sure how I missed that. Is there an easier way to navigate the dungeon map that way I don't see all the dozens of corridors except the ones within my vicinity so that I don't run into this problem again?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Navigating Daggerfall's dungeons is a glorious pain sometimes. :D

I'll switch to 3D view and use rotate/zoom to find a good clear angle of my immediate area. And holding down middle mouse button while dragging mouse vertically up/down will slide the transparency level. This lets you "peel back" upper layer of dungeons to see your immediate area only.

I find DFU's dungeon automap from Nystul much easier to navigate than classic, but it still takes a lot of practice to get used to.

Have found myself playing mostly with smaller dungeons enabled lately. I loved those sprawling insane dungeons back in the day, but I don't feel like I have the time for those big sessions anymore. The smaller dungeons are still a good size, but I'm usually out within 20 minutes or so compared to an hour or two with full dungeons (unless I get lucky with target).

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

xhodan wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:47 pmthere an easier way to navigate the dungeon map that way I don't see all the dozens of corridors except the ones within my vicinity so that I don't run into this problem again?
The dungeon map is useful to a point. Once you've explored 90% of a huge sprawling map, it becomes really hard to find the unexplored areas that remain. You find yourself looking at the map more than playing.

What I've suggested in the past as a visual aide is some kind of pulsating highlight effect on explored segments that are connected to unexplored segments. That means that the segment closest to the room you bypassed would've been flashing on your map.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Here's a gif of what I had in mind.
dfallmaphigh2.gif
dfallmaphigh2.gif (396.8 KiB) Viewed 1648 times