0.7.36 (Win 7 x64) Disease persistent after load

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
ACNAero

0.7.36 (Win 7 x64) Disease persistent after load

Post by ACNAero »

I caught the Plague from a skeleton, and shortly died afterwards. When I loaded my save to before I fought him, I kept the disease and I die when I rest. When I look at my status it tells me I'm healthy, not diseased or poisoned. This save happens to be after I successfully killed him, but my status is telling me I'm healthy regardless.

p.s., apologies in advance if this is a known or fixed bug. There's... a lot of bug reports.
Attachments
Disease.zip
(218.27 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Interkarma

Re: 0.7.36 (Win 7 x64) Disease persistent after load

Post by Interkarma »

Diseases have a 1-day incubation time, during which your status popup still displays healthy. You'll get the travel warning if you attempt to travel while in the incubation stage though.

Monsters which transmit diseases are: Rat, Giant Bat, Spider, Giant Scorpion, Werewolf, Nymph, Wereboar, Zombie, Mummy, Vampire, Vampire Ancient, and Lamias. Your skeleton is quite blameless in all of this, you would have contracted the disease some time prior to this encounter. :)

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm Diseases have a 1-day incubation time, during which your status popup still displays healthy.
Thing is, first time I got it, it told me "I feel somewhat bad" and when I checked it told me I had the plague, again, still in the first dungeon. Is there some random chance for it to say I've caught something?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Technically the incubation period ends at the beginning of the day after you contracted the disease. So if you contracted disease at 11:59 then incubation will end 1 minute later at 00:00 and disease will fire it's first day of payload. It will fire payload once per day after that.

Interestingly, your save is taken at 11:59, just as disease is about to fire for the first time after incubation. The plague is a nasty one too, it does between 3-30 points of damage to health in addition to draining attributes. As your character is level 2 and only has 6 points of health remaining at 11:59, the shock of disease kicking in crumples that character like paper.

This is one of those cases where you've been unlucky and Daggerfall is being quite unfair. Best way to resolve is quickly open console with tilde/backquote key and enter "tgm" to temporarily enable god-mode. You only have a couple of seconds, so act fast. This will keep you alive for the following:
  • From console enter "showspellmaker" and craft a cure disease spell. Don't worry about costs, with god-mode active you can cast any level of spell even if you don't have the spell points.
  • Repeat cast your cure disease spell until you don't see "spell effect failed". Check your character sheet (F5 default) and all your stats should be yellow again.
  • Delete the temp cure spell, toggle off "tgm", rest up, and resume play.
By the way, you've also been unlucky just catching a disease in first dungeon. Level 1 players are hard-immune to diseases, probably to help prevent players contracting a disease before they even have a chance to exit Privateer's Hold. But it's very easy to hit level 2 in PH then catch a disease from one of its inhabitants, which you've managed to do. Daggerfall can be a monster sometimes. :)

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Ah, so I just had a perfect storm of bad luck that happened to confuse me into looking like a bug :lol: Well, no real loss. It was just a character I started for testing the dungeon performance with various settings and visual mods. Thanks for checking, though :)

edit: just remembered too that the first time the disease warning message popped up was exactly as the skeleton successfully hit me, with the exact same timing as Oblivion and Skyrim's "you have contracted X" message, which further confused me. It really was just a perfect storm of bad luck :lol:
Last edited by ACNAero on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems! I always look into this stuff when I can, and this one certainly looks like a perfect storm of bad luck. The most likely critters for plague that early in the game would have been a rat or bat shortly after dinging level 2.