Dagskills & Daggerfall: Unity, Broken?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
eXistential Warlock

Dagskills & Daggerfall: Unity, Broken?

Post by eXistential Warlock »

Hey guys. I've been searching the internet for about three days now on-and-off for a clear answer but keep coming up with dead ends.

Is Dagskills 0.96 completely incompatible with Daggerfall: Unity? I just confirmed my Daggerfall Setup with the patch enabled works when running in dosbox, but when i run it through Unity, the level up screen hard locks caps at 100.

If anyone could clarify for me that it is indeed unsupported, I'd be very thankful.

On the other hand, if someone can give me a tip as to how I can get it working "properly" in Daggerfall: Unity, I'd be even more greatful. Maybe there are console command solutions?

I'm aware game balance is essentially destroyed with stat and skill limits broken, but I'd still like to experiment.

Anyway, thanks a bunch!
Last edited by eXistential Warlock on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Interkarma

Re: Dagskills & Daggerfall: Unity, Broken?

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

Dagskills and DFU is not so much broken as just unrelated. Daggerfall Unity doesn't use the DOS FALL.EXE at all - it's a totally new runtime built on a different engine with its own executable. None of the classic hacks that edit FALL.EXE are going to work in DFU.

If you're importing a hacked character from classic (e.g. one that was played in classic with Dagskills enabled) then YMMV may vary on how well that character data imports. If character otherwise imports OK though, it shouldn't hard-lock on level up. Are you able to attach a zip of your affected save just before level up? I'm happy to see if this is something I can reproduce and possibly prevent the lock.

eXistential Warlock

Ahh, that explains a lot!

Sure, I can provide you with whatever save file you wish! I don't have a particular save file I'm trying to import though. I've only put time into actually playing the game in DFU, and even those characters aren't super important as I've been mostly messing around with abusing the leveling system.

If I were to create a character within FALL.EXE at level 1 and import that save, are you implying that imported character may retain their "hacked" skill and attribute limits? Even if none of the values are above natural limits yet?

P.S. Thanks for the response Interkarma. I've been thoroughly enjoying your work.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looking at your first post again, I could have just misunderstood what you were saying. When you said "level up screen hard locks at 100", do you mean the game hard locks (e.g. becomes unresponsive and requires task manager to close)? Or do you mean that stats are capped at 100? You should be able to exit the level-up screen even when all stats are maxed out and keep playing, so I'm hoping it's the latter.

And thanks. :)

eXistential Warlock

My apologies. That is what hard lock means usually... :?

Yes, I only mean that the skills and attributes are capped.

Understanding that FALL.EXE is completely separate from DFU answers my first question quite well!

So, is there way to increase the attributes and skills past 100 within DFU? And if not, would a mod be able to affect that? I haven't noticed any DFU mods that affect skills or attributes yet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a relief. :lol:

Yes, this is possible to do. This was hard-coded, but I've just quickly merged code so that stat ceiling is defined by formula system and can be overridden by mods.

From next round of builds, it will be possible for a modder to define a custom "MaxStatValue" formula that can return any value. The mod could raise the ceiling to 200, 1000, or even lower it to 50 to make the game more challenging. It might even make sense for mod to allow user to define their own stat ceiling as part of mod settings. Disclaimer: Some game systems might break horribly if stat ceiling is set too high, such a mod would be used at own peril.

The mod should be quite simple to put together. Is anyone reading interested in creating a DFU equivalent for Dagskills?

eXistential Warlock

Awesome stuff! Just what I wanted to hear. ;)

I'm sure someone will get to it long before me, but I'm certainly interested in modding Daggerfall myself sometime.

Thank you for the warm reception. I'm happy to be a part of the DFU community. :D