Stretched or repeating textures

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Re: Stretched or repeating textures

Post by pango »

First, Kozanset variants of the same... Do they need to be fixed separately?
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (214.9 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Attachments
SAVE247.zip
(436.78 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (230.93 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Attachments
SAVE248.zip
(451.43 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Then I noticed issues with roof, maybe that the kind of thing you were trying to fix?
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (197.66 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Attachments
SAVE250.zip
(420.21 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
SAVE249.zip
(415.04 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

And now for something completely different...
Daggerfall treasury room that started to melt
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (212.23 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Attachments
SAVE252.zip
(490.68 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

pango wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:41 pm Then I noticed issues with roof, maybe that the kind of thing you were trying to fix?
That was not with this model but it's probably the same issue. However I couldn't check your saves, it says "Terrain sampler changed, Repositioning the player" and I'm immediately teleported outside the town.
pango wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 pm And now for something completely different...
Daggerfall treasury room that started to melt
Same issue with the UVunpack method. If I comment it out, it works (but then many other planes are broken).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

"Terrain sampler" msg is because Pango uses Distant terrain mod. So either you install it, or Pango need to deactivate is and create new save files.

Ive found that the cheaper ship model (cost 100 000) is FULL of texture issues.

Ill post some saves and screens. But its around 10 or more bugs..

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ferital wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:51 pm Same issue with the UVunpack method. If I comment it out, it works (but then many other planes are broken).
The trouble with the classic UV formats is they're so specific to the XnGine software renderer. They don't translate back to modern 0-1 domain without some blood in water. Fix one thing and break another - it's frustrating to be sure. I beat my head against the wall for years on this one in the early days to end up with the previous setup - and it was still far from perfect.

Your approach of patching the UV coordinates is a much better one, I think. It might be more manual but eventually all of these problems can be fixed. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Ferital wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:51 pm However I couldn't check your saves, it says "Terrain sampler changed, Repositioning the player" and I'm immediately teleported outside the town.
Arg. As KoW said, I was using Distant terrain mod...

(by the way, relocating the player in towns for using a different terrain generator looks a bit heavy handed, can terrain generators change the height of towns?)
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Interkarma wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 am The trouble with the classic UV formats is they're so specific to the XnGine software renderer. They don't translate back to modern 0-1 domain without some blood in water. Fix one thing and break another - it's frustrating to be sure. I beat my head against the wall for years on this one in the early days to end up with the previous setup - and it was still far from perfect.

Your approach of patching the UV coordinates is a much better one, I think. It might be more manual but eventually all of these problems can be fixed. :)
I understand what you experienced, I also came to the conclusion there isn't a perfect solution for interpreting weird DF UV coords. At least as you say, all models which do not translate well in moden engines can be patched at runtime. In the end, we might be able to remove the UVunpack method entirely. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Just checked a couple of spots of stretched textures from my test save collection and they're sorted, great work!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods