Stretched or repeating textures

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ferital

Re: Stretched or repeating textures

Post by Ferital »

PR submitted which fixes house roofs, Daggerfall Castle treasury room and Kozanset Mages Guild. These were not game data related bugs but side effects of our previous DF texture coordinates processing method. So I finally manage to came to a better one. Of course, this has to be extensively tested but I loaded at least a dozen savegames with critical spots and did not notice any new error.

Next step will be to continue fixing game data related bugs, some already mentioned here by Banshee and pango.

pango

Post by pango »

Could regressions in coordinates processing be checked using unit tests?
We know input values, expected output values, even if it doesn't totally replace some manual checks it would be way faster to check that something is obviously wrong...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Good idea, it might be possible to add some unit testing using actual texture coordinates extracted from the model planes I always check. That would at least prevent regressions we experienced recently with this house roof or the treasury room, or the Direnni Tower huge entrance hall a few months back.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I closed my previous PR and opened a new one with a much more robust algorithm. As I say in the PR description, DFU is now even better than classic at processing some of the original texture coordinates, without altering the game data. See Bargain Gear Store in Ephesus for an example.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

This is the entrance to castle Daggerfall. The outer doors are overstretched. See texture 474 for how it should look. There are also two sets of doors with the same error on the balcony above this door.

Once inside, you'll notice that the right door's texture is upside down and needs vertically flipped.
cddoor1.png
cddoor1.png (211.22 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
cddoor2.png
cddoor2.png (137.46 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For the exterior static doors, my feeling is this was intentional by whoever designed the model to hide mildew and corrosion visible at the bottom of texture 474.3. This isn't that obvious until you become really familiar with the textures elsewhere.

For the interior action doors, this isn't related to the textures. The right-hand door model is literally upside-down. This is how DF makes both the doors swing in the same direction, as it can only animate doors one-way. So many weird hacks like this in the game data.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Interkarma wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 am For the exterior static doors, my feeling is this was intentional by whoever designed the model to hide mildew and corrosion visible at the bottom of texture 474.3. This isn't that obvious until you become really familiar with the textures elsewhere.
This model is used in 8 other places on castle daggerfall's walls with no stretch. It's also used normally for the entrances of much fancier castles Wayrest and Sentinel.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yup, but that's still my feeling of why the modeller did that for those doors specifically.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Interkarma wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 amYup, but that's still my feeling of why the modeller did that for those doors specifically.
Your reason is that they did it on purpose to hide the worn bottom even though:

1. They could've simply used a different door texture.
2. It almost never happens on any door in the world.
3. The texture isn't missing just the bottom, it's clipping the side, too.
4. The model is used 10 times on the same castle without stretching.
5. We've already corrected doors on houses that are overstretched in similar ways.
6. Wayrest looks way fancier, but doesn't hide the worn bottom.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yup, but that's still my feeling of why the modeller did that for those doors specifically.