Stretched or repeating textures

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
hannafamilycomputer

Re: Stretched or repeating textures

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

SAVE74.zip
(383.66 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
These boxes have no bottoms. Maybe you could flip them upside down?
SAVE91.zip
(229.94 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Like the crates. All the candles in this tile just seem tiny, even if you crouch next to them. It just seems off.

The lighting in this next image is weird because I turned up the improved interior settings too high.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Because I can't describe it. (It's even an INN door!)
Last edited by hannafamilycomputer on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannafamilycomputer

SAVE98.zip
(273.38 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Here is the save.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

I forget, but I think this is far as this door opens. (Or closes?)
SAVE99.zip
(274.9 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

That's all my world geometery related bugs I have noticed. Have fun.

pango

Post by pango »

Posting screenshot and description at once, then associated save on next post with the description of the next problem doesn't help sort things out...

TIny crates and tiny candles looking off seems a bit too subjective to deserve action. At least they don't have any visual glitch, and looking off can be considered a feature sometimes. Just keeps one wondering, what are those crates for, who built them, etc.

(Floating) bottomless objects: that must have been a cheap trick to lower the number of surfaces to render, too bad it doesn't play well with unexpected points of view. Modern 3d engines will efficiently cull surfaces that are not visible, the right fix would be to add bottom surfaces to all the models that miss them (including that nearly invisible upside-down small boat you can find in dungeons sometimes).

Exit doors disconnected from walls: again that must have been a cheap way to work around z-fighting (the phenomenon you observed with mages guild wall). Proper fix would have been to make a hole in the wall to put the exit door in, but since the exit door may or may not be present at that place in each dungeon, that would have required to swap wall models between the version with and without the hole. Putting the exit door slightly in front of the wall is a simple hack to work around the issue, but it will be hard replace with a cleaner fix (give all doors some thickness so they're actually connected to the wall?)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

hannafamilycomputer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:11 pm SAVE60.zip
I have no idea about this one. Why is the banner even there? I would expect it to be upside down if it represented them overthrowing daggerfall's government. But that isn't even what the db does.
I can confirm it's sideways in classic too (source):
DB sideways banner.jpg
DB sideways banner.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
About interpretations of the banner being sideways, yes I thought about something like that too.
However in Daggerfall it seems rulers are not really after thieves guild (see Confessions of a thief) - and probably not really after the Dark Brotherhood either for the same reasons -, and they do not consider themselves "outside of the system". Under this light, sideways banner may be somehow more fitting than upside-down.
-- Charles Goodhart

hannafamilycomputer

Streched floor texture in side block.
Attachments
SAVE110.zip
(304.81 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I resumed my work on texture fixes, see this PR. I fixed all errors referenced by Banshee (or I think so), some from pango (not the secret passage as this one is much more harder than the others), two from hannafamilycomputer (the house roof and the last one) and a lot that I figured out by myself, mostly dungeon corridors but also city gates entrance floor which was incorrectly set to a dungeon wall texture (!).

King of Worms, I will do the ship, but it's a big one so I kept it for later.

pango

Post by pango »

Thank you Ferital!
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great job Ferital, I saw ur post on Git :)

As I see this project progressing I will resume my reporting, I have some cases saved

hannafamilycomputer

Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:36 pm I think this one belongs to here. I am not sure where that actually is. I was in a rush when i took that pic and left(IRL)...sorry.
I found one like this in The Caartke Vaults, Totambu. It has the same exact wrong texture.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,

Some stretched texture on a jewelry store in Menakat, Pothago.
Actually the town module is used twice in that town, so they're two jewelries with the exact same texture issue.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Attachments
SAVE837.zip
(235.15 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
-- Charles Goodhart