Stretched or repeating textures

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ferital

Re: Stretched or repeating textures

Post by Ferital »

Thanks for the report pango!

I think I'll made some sort of data patch in the end, like a list of offsets to tweak, which would be applied after loading ARCH3D.BSA. This will be much better than the way I'm currently dealing with this.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

New PR submitted, with a simple system which allows to patch any BSA file at runtime. I used a system similar to what is done with the Fallhack tool from Andyfall (a list of offsets and altered bytes). This will allow to fix any part of a BSA file in the future without altering the original game data files.

I also fixed the dungeon sewer junction mentionted by pango, as well as the nearby sewer dead end which had stretched floor and roof textures.

I started to work on the secret passage but I got bored at some point. It seems that Bethesda initially put the same UV values for each plane of some models like this one or the dungeon sewer junction, and forgot to set the correct coordinates before the final release. So, as I don't have any useful values from the original, I have to compute all them manually, which is rather tedious and time consuming.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very appreciated efforts mate. I plan to post some reports here in a future as well. Thank you!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Here's a zip with 4 save files in it, each one having an issue:

SAVE6 = Barrier in Daggerfall Castle's dungeon. If you turn around and go in the tower door, the steps are also affected.
SAVE16 = Every room inside a city wall has its door texture stretched and clipped.
SAVE17 = Magic Item Maker room in the Mage's Guild has its floor texture squeezed.
SAVE12 = Hedges in towns have many sections that flicker when your view changes. This may be a different issue, not sure.
Textures.zip
(590.98 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, flickering hedge is a different issue. It's game-data related as well though. Whoever designed the block layout just slapped a couple of hedge models partially on top of each other to make up desired length, rather than use proper modular models with a clean footprint. The same issue is in classic, it's just not as obvious due to the much lower resolution.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:17 am Here's a zip with 4 save files in it, each one having an issue:

SAVE6 = Barrier in Daggerfall Castle's dungeon. If you turn around and go in the tower door, the steps are also affected.
SAVE16 = Every room inside a city wall has its door texture stretched and clipped.
SAVE17 = Magic Item Maker room in the Mage's Guild has its floor texture squeezed.
SAVE12 = Hedges in towns have many sections that flicker when your view changes. This may be a different issue, not sure.

Textures.zip
Thanks Banshee, I've already corrected the Item Maker room, this was an easy one, though I didn't updated my PR yet :) The other textures should be easy to fix as well, except for the hedges as there, the z-fighting issue comes from overlapping models as explained by Interkarma.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

All the models from Banshee saves (except the hedges) are now fixed, PR updated.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Three more models fixed, like this one:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah! Great to have that general store one fixed. :)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Here's four more found on city houses, three are doors and one is a wall.
textures2.zip
(658.69 KiB) Downloaded 104 times