Daggerfall Unity setup permanently broken

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mangomaster

Daggerfall Unity setup permanently broken

Post by mangomaster »

(Windows)
So I downloaded the 64-bit 0.7.65 build, went through setup, added the DaggerfallSetup version, it told me it was a good game file, and it booted up just fine. I later closed it to try and change some startup settings, and now I can't get it to start up again. Now on startup, it first shows the blue cursor, then a window with the logo and a green loading bar, then a black screen shortly before crashing. All over the internet, I see people saying to delete the settings.ini file, which when I do, the game just restores it on startup and my problems persist. I've attempted to instead edit the settings.ini file to manually set the path to the DaggerfallGameFiles version instead, to no avail. I've gone so far as to delete the entire Daggerfall Workshop folder, the installer folder, clear my temp files, then clear my recycling bin just to make absolute sure that there is no data from the installer left on my computer, but when I reinstall it, it still goes through the same startup. I just can't tell what file there is that it's pulling all those startup settings from. :|

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity setup permanently broken

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome the forums. :) I'm not sure what you mean by a window with logo and green loading bar. Can you post a screenshot of this?

Just until you get a chance to get back to me, here are the steps to set up a fresh installation. Please follow these carefully, even if you've done this before.
  1. Delete your existing Daggerfall game files.
  2. Delete your settings.ini from persistent data path (you can delete whole Daggerfall Workshop folder if you wish).
  3. Download DaggerfallGameFiles zip from Live Builds and extract somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall".
  4. Download either the latest 32-bit or 64-bit version and extract somewhere different like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity". Make you extract Daggerfall Unity into its own unique folder. Please do not extract Daggerfall Unity on top of your game files or any older version of DFU.
  5. Run DaggerfallUnity.exe from new location and it should start from the point of browsing for game files again. Browse to the location in step 3 (e.g. "C:\Games\Daggerfall").