NPCs won't talk when clicked on.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jay_H

Re: NPCs won't talk when clicked on.

Post by Jay_H »

I just use the left mouse button :) Did you change any keys when you configured the game? You can delete your KeyBinds.txt in that same folder I told you about above and it should reset to defaults when you start DFU. I hope :)

Never be ashamed! We want people to play the game and be happy with it!

numb3r5ev3n

Post by numb3r5ev3n »

I deleted the keybinds.txt in that folder and loaded up my save, same thing. Info mode is working in some instances and not in others. I can't read street signs, but it will tell me who I am trying to talk to when I left click on them in info mode, and gives me info about a building before I walk into it. But there's still no dialogue box at all. I wonder where I went wrong?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'll let someone with more technical knowledge try when they can. If you're in F3 mode, conversation should work with exterior townspeople but not interior ones. Street signs are not functional yet (I'm pretty sure?) so that's unrelated for now. Just to clear one thing up: by dialogue mode you mean you're using F4, right?

numb3r5ev3n

Post by numb3r5ev3n »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:30 am I'll let someone with more technical knowledge try when they can. If you're in F3 mode, conversation should work with exterior townspeople but not interior ones. Street signs are not functional yet (I'm pretty sure?) so that's unrelated for now. Just to clear one thing up: by dialogue mode you mean you're using F4, right?
Yes, I am using F4 to talk, and it says "now in dialogue mode."

Thanks for your help! I'm still not certain I'm not just doing something wrong.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to clarify what I was saying about the version, this is visible on the pause screen (i.e. after pressing Esc key to pause game). You should see something like "Daggerfall Unity Pre-Alpha 0.7.65" Could you please check again and confirm version. Thank you. :)

Sounds like the clicks themselves are working OK if you're seeing info on buildings and mobile NPCs. Probably not a keybind issues then. In that case, activating in either "grab" mode (F2) or "dialogue" mode (F4) should work.

Could you please do the following for me:
  1. Load a game and click on a few unresponsive NPCs (reproducing the issue).
  2. Exit game and zip up your output log and attach to a post here. On Windows the "output_log.txt" is in same folder as save games.
This will let me see if there's some kind of exception preventing the talk UI from opening.

numb3r5ev3n

Post by numb3r5ev3n »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:14 am Just to clarify what I was saying about the version, this is visible on the pause screen (i.e. after pressing Esc key to pause game). You should see something like "Daggerfall Unity Pre-Alpha 0.7.65" Could you please check again and confirm version. Thank you. :)

Sounds like the clicks themselves are working OK if you're seeing info on buildings and mobile NPCs. Probably not a keybind issues then. In that case, activating in either "grab" mode (F2) or "dialogue" mode (F4) should work.

Could you please do the following for me:
  1. Load a game and click on a few unresponsive NPCs (reproducing the issue).
  2. Exit game and zip up your output log and attach to a post here. On Windows the "output_log.txt" is in same folder as save games.
This will let me see if there's some kind of exception preventing the talk UI from opening.
I took a screenshot of the pause screen. I don't see the version there. I must have made a mistake during the install or something.
Attachments
output_log.7z
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
export.png
export.png (925.15 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Oh yeah, that version's pretty old :lol: Interkarma uploaded new versions today. Would you be willing to install the newest build into a new folder and trying it again?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yikes! Looking at your log, that build is 0.4.36 from July 13 2017. I'm not sure talking to NPCs was even implemented then.

Could you let me know where you downloaded that build from? It hasn't been up for download on dfworkshop.net for about 1.5 years now. Anyway, as Jay says the new version should fix that problem. :)

numb3r5ev3n

Post by numb3r5ev3n »

Whoops! I was going to try it over a year ago but got sidetracked, and then decided to try it a few days ago. I downloaded the build from 3/28 but may have accidentally installed the one from 2017. I'm just going to uninstall everything except for the saves and start again with a fresh install and report back. Thanks again!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, that makes sense. Good luck! :)