Constant Double Jeopardy on Criminal Conspiracy

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Gilbals

Constant Double Jeopardy on Criminal Conspiracy

Post by Gilbals »

Reproduced on two characters so far.

Accepting a mission that could be considered Criminal Conspiracy works as normal, however even after going to court, the moment I get out guards are after me again for it. Then again ad nauseam. This killed my reputation on the characters to the point of no one speaking to my character anymore. This also seems to extend to other villages, as the first time walking into a new city, I'll have a guard yelling halt at me.

Jay_H

Re: Constant Double Jeopardy on Criminal Conspiracy

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums :)

We'll need some more info for this. What mission for criminal conspiracy? What did you do before the reputation change? Can you upload a save game so we can see what's going on inside? What's your DFU version?

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums Gilbals!
Gilbals wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:50 am Accepting a mission that could be considered Criminal Conspiracy works as normal, however even after going to court, the moment I get out guards are after me again for it.
That may match classic Daggerfall mechanics. To quote Dealing with the law old page,
"Interestingly enough, a finding of not guilty will not restore your reputation in the eyes of the law. [...]. This is a reflection of the police philosophy of "So what if he got off on a technicality. He's still a punk.""
Have you been arrested and found guilty?
Gilbals wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:50 am Then again ad nauseam. This killed my reputation on the characters to the point of no one speaking to my character anymore. This also seems to extend to other villages, as the first time walking into a new city, I'll have a guard yelling halt at me.
At "Criminal Conspiracy" reputation level, guards will be after you the moment you enter a town.
The legal reputation is managed by region, so what you can do is move to another region until guards forget about you. Reputations go back to 0 at the rate of one point per month, so if it's very negative it can take a while though.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

As far as I'm aware, Allofich has matched this behaviour to classic. Time to hole up away from the law until the heat dies down. :)

Gilbals

Post by Gilbals »

Just got back to check, can't upload the save. deleted it. Essentially a dead character since it was early game.

The quest was a simple kill quest from someone at an inn. Found guilty, banned from town. Go to new town, arrested, guilty served 24 days. Get to larger city, arrested and guilty, banned from city. It got to the point that I'd just start cutting down guards and going about my business, but eventually I called it as too annoying and quit the char.

If this is real to the original, it could probably use some retooling or some dialogue that shows crookedness. The character wasn't even level 2 yet. Let em breathe a bit first lol.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I'd suggest not taking quests to kill people and being surprised when you get a bad rep lol.

Gilbals

Post by Gilbals »

Kamer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:42 am I'd suggest not taking quests to kill people and being surprised when you get a bad rep lol.
I was prepared for bad rep, that's no problem. The issue was constant hounding even after serving my time, which destroyed my rep.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I had your issue in vanilla I believe when i did bad runs for the first time. Always have a backup plan. I always worked on region borders so I could leave one if things went south. A bad character shouldn't settle anywhere unless you aim to keep a low profile in the region. Else, being a criminal will have you treated as a criminal.

Gilbals

Post by Gilbals »

Kamer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 am I had your issue in vanilla I believe when i did bad runs for the first time. Always have a backup plan. I always worked on region borders so I could leave one if things went south. A bad character shouldn't settle anywhere unless you aim to keep a low profile in the region. Else, being a criminal will have you treated as a criminal.
The plan was low profile. The character was gonna get in with the Brotherhood, so for character purposes I wanted to take a freelance contract to establish myself in character. I wasn't caught doing the job, only the rumors that I may have been asked to do it, which I served my time for. That was all calculated. What wasn't calculated was the constant hounding after serving time, which seems more like an outright bug. A guard and people can like me less on rumors, but if I'm constantly hounded for crimes I already served time on, that's no longer working as intended. It killed my rep lower than I wanted it to be before I could even establish joining the Brotherhood.

I know there's a statement here to the tune of realism and sociopolitical statements. But at the end of the day it's an RPG. You want to brush next to the fantasy simulation, not go as deep down the hole as possible in a video game. Even at a table, no GM would push this deep on law without making a lot of enemies out of the players.