Win_x64_0.7.91: Door is "Ready to open." after use of a magic item, then "Lock is too powerful." when attempting to open

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
SlainByWoodborne

Win_x64_0.7.91: Door is "Ready to open." after use of a magic item, then "Lock is too powerful." when attempting to open

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

This is a bit odd. I am unable to pick a lock, so I used a magic item (have a few) to open it. The first use of the item failed, so I alternated to the other open item and verified "Ready to open". I clicked on the door and encountered "Lock is too powerful." as if the game's mechanics were checking my "Lockpicking" skill first and not the fact that I had just used magic to unlock the door.
Attachments
Unable_to_open_unlocked_door_SAVE64.7z
(212.8 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Interkarma

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Door is "Ready to open." after use of a magic item, then "Lock is too powerful." when attempting to

Post by Interkarma »

The Open spell is cast on yourself rather than the door. "Ready to open" means the spell is now loaded and the next door you click on will become the target of your Open spell. Your character level must be equal to or higher than the level of the door or it will be too powerful for you to open, magic or not.

SlainByWoodborne

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Door is "Ready to open." after use of a magic item, then "Lock is too powerful." when attempting to

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

Interesting. I'm learning quite a bit about the underlying mechanics of the game.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Can you just say "Choose door to unlock." instead?