On the persistent dungeon map

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Al-Khwarizmi

On the persistent dungeon map

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I have noticed that in Daggerfall Unity the explored dungeon map is persistent, i.e., if you have explored a dungeon and exit it, the parts that you have explored will appear on your map when you re-visit.

This is a double-edge sword. On the one hand, it's great, it can be useful and more realistic, because you already know the dungeon. On the other hand, if you get sent to the same dungeon on different quests, it makes it more difficult to know what parts of the dungeon you have yet to explore for your current quest (and therefore, it makes it more difficult to look for the quest item).

I guess the easiest way to solve it would be via a manual "clear" button for the map, and the hard but optimal way would be to somehow make the areas explored in previous visits to the dungeon, but not the current one, appear dimmer.

jayhova

Re: On the persistent dungeon map

Post by jayhova »

A ghost unexplored sections on new quest option would be nice. Even ghosting while in the dungeon would give you a good idea about what places you have seen but not explored. Adding an unexplored color would make this even easier. Having view modifying controls in the UI is definitely something I would like to see in the future.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

By default DFU will cache the last 5 dungeons you visit. If you'd rather not have this, you can set the below in settings.ini.

Code: Select all

AutomapNumberOfDungeons = 0

pango

Post by pango »

The parts you haven't re-explored are already grayed out (desaturated), but maybe the effect is not obvious enough...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

how much of the map system is exposed? Would it be possible to customize fading and colors an UI buttons in the map screen with a mod? Like for instance could you mod it so known but unexplored areas were given a particular color overlay? Or put sliders to define how much area above or below you was faded?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

This is a crude mockup because the opacity stuff was getting in the way, but like this?
dmap.png
dmap.png (202.35 KiB) Viewed 1318 times