0.7.120: Archer in Privateer's Hold does not have a bow

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ferital

0.7.120: Archer in Privateer's Hold does not have a bow

Post by Ferital »

This archer is the first one we met, in the room with the U shaped table. I'm almost sure in classic he always gets a bow.
Also, the archer tries to walk straight away to the player without considering the table in front of him, which is rather weird.
SAVE23.zip
(113.31 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Interkarma

Re: 0.7.120: Archer in Privateer's Hold does not have a bow

Post by Interkarma »

I quickly tested killing this archer a few times in classic and they didn't have a bow on all occasions. They also just pathed directly towards player with no regard for the table. I agree it would make sense for them to always receive a bow.

In my DFU setup (unmodded with advanced enemy AI enabled) the archer will at least try to path around the U shaped table and attack player. They will shoot if they have a bow. The behaviour seems to match classic fairly well, and even improves on it with advanced enemy AI.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Seems I forgot to activate enhanced combat, I usually always play with it and didn't check this time, my mistake. And for the bow, I should have tested in classic before... I'll be sure to do it next time :)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

If you stand in the doorway or behind it in classic (the one before first entering room) the archer will shoot at you. If you step in the room and get within a certain range, he will not shoot at you anymore. There seems to be a range requirement, and when you get too close he goes into melee mode.

In DFU right now, he just endlessly walks forward into the table, never stopping to shoot you.

I know the AI is being tinkered with a lot, so regressions are expected.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Yes that's what I also remembered but I just checked in classic and, as Interkarma said, the archer does not always have a bow. Which, I agree, is rather odd for an archer...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I think it's very unrealistic for NPCs to shoot at you with bows they do not have. It's even stranger for archers not to have a bow. The loot system in DF/DFU is a bit too random and not very logical. I tend to prefer systems like the D&D Baldur's gate type games. The loot was what they had. If they shot at you with bows they had arrows etc. It makes little sense for your opponent to have 2 right pauldrons and no left. You will find a lot of low level loot that you will have to just leave.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If anyone looted my corpse, they'd find about 32 steel and elven weapons and I'd be lacking gloves and greaves -- that's all the game has given me :lol: There's a limit to how well-equipped people can be, and seeing everyone perfectly armed also challenges believability.