Cast sleep Mission bug win64- ver.126 [restrain foe]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jayhova

Cast sleep Mission bug win64- ver.126 [restrain foe]

Post by jayhova »

Sorry I totally missed the specific designation of this classic quest. It's the mages guild quest where you are tasked with casting sleep on a patron of the guild. I journey to the location and there is the MOB waiting there. Strangely the MOB is the wrong gender. Then I realize I don't have the spell because I had not performed this quest with this PC. So I run to the closest guild and buy a spell that works. I get back to the location and I am attacked. I cast the spell and complete the mission, still I am attacked so I leave the house and return to the guild.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Re: Cast sleep Mission bug win64- ver.126

Post by Jay_H »

To summarize: an enemy restrained with "restrain foe" ceases to be restrained if you leave the building and re-enter.

I remember this had been mentioned previously but I ran a search and couldn't find it.

pango

Re: Cast sleep Mission bug win64- ver.126 [restrain foe]

Post by pango »

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Pango, you're some kind of omnipotent being when it comes to DFU... always with a link or a bisect... we're very fortunate to have you. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hahaha, well I'm obsessive with Daggerfall, so I'm trying to make that useful, at least :D

I setup everything for bisection to be easy on my system, because I know how useful its result can be; It allows me to contribute to fixing code I often do not even understand well...
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I should probably learn how to bisect commits, currently I work out which bit of code is responsible and do a blame to see who last touched those lines. If that doesn't get me the right commit I manually do a binary search on the previous history to find the commit I am looking for. If you feel like giving a few pointers (no need for a fer dummies guide - hopefully) about how you have it set up to make it easy, that would be great.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

That one seems okay: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tool ... g-with-Git

However if you already know how to bisect manually, it shouldn't be too long to explain:
First, to begin a bisection session, you must issue a

Code: Select all

git bisect start
But the process only really starts after you marked a commit as "good" and another as "bad" with

git bisect (good|bad) [commit]
(if you don't specify a commit, that will mark the current commit)
At that moment, git will automatically checkout a commit somewhere between the good and bad ones.
Check whether that commit is good or bad, mark it accordingly, and git will checkout another one, etc, until the first bad commit is identified.

The "good" commit must always be before the "bad" one, chronologically speaking. That said what is "good" and what is "bad" is totally up to you, so in practice that's not a big constraint.

Special case, if a selected commit cannot be tested (say it doesn't compile, or doesn't run), you can mark it as untestable using

git bisect skip
and git will pick another close commit that you can hopefully test.

And when you're finished bisecting, you can issue a

git bisect reset
and all the tags that where created by the bisection will be cleared.

That's almost all there's to it. One last thing, If you screwed up at some point (marked a commit good when it was actually bad for example) you can use

git bisect log > file.txt
to get a readable log of all the marking you did. Edit the file any way you like and use

git replay file.txt
to replay the modified markings.

There's more to it, but in practice that's all I use.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

N0B00Y08 is the quest BTW
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.