"Strenghten Armor" enchantment resets after restarting my game

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
WereBeast

"Strenghten Armor" enchantment resets after restarting my game

Post by WereBeast »

Hello, first time posting here,

I have noticed that in the build 0.7.145, whenever I enchant for example a chain cuiras with the efect "strenghten armor" after I restart the game the enchanted value of armour went from 12 back to 6 (the default value). The armor is still listed as enchanted with the effect, but the value on my character when eguiped, still shows the default number.

My platform: Windows 10 64 bit
build 0.7.146 (listed as .145 if that means anything)
Persistent data path: C:\Users\Username*\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity
my save games are stored in: D:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\Saves

*The username is my full name ;) (but it contains non Latin character Š)
Attachments
output_log.rar
My output log
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
SAVE3.rar
This is where you can enchant the chain cuirass with the effects described above
(288.71 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
SAVE1.rar
This one shows the bugged chain cuirass
(286.19 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Interkarma

Re: "Strenghten Armor" enchantment resets after restarting my game

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

The increased armour value modifier is only used in combat formulas, it is not reflected by the paper doll armour values (matches classic). I trialled this and found it added more confusion to the amour values based on the non-stacking nature of Strengthens Armor, the cancelling out by Weakens Armor, and that other items like shields can increase armour value of multiple body parts. It was never clear which armour values are increased/decreased or why, so i just left it as classic and didn't reflect this on the paper doll.

By the way, Strengthens Armor increases the value of all armour pieces, not just the one enchantment sits on. This is why it doesn't stack with other Strengthens Armor enchantments on other items.

The enchantment itself operates as a constant effect, which means it doesn't need to interact with the save system. The bonus is applied every frame so long as the item remains equipped. Unfortunately, there's no good way to communicate to player this enchant is actually doing anything, but I promise it's being used in FormulaHelper.CalculateSuccessfulHit() where armour value is calculated. :)

If you folks prefer it, I'm happy for this increase value to be included on the paper doll. It's only a few seconds work.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

How about displaying all affected armor values on the paper doll at their strengthened values as you suggested, and also showing them in blue font to indicate they're modified?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That sounds like more than a few seconds work. :lol:

But seriously, good idea. I'll add this to next round of builds so player can see when their armour has been strengthened/weakened by enchantments. Just keep in mind that combining Strengthens Armor with Weakens Armor will cancel each other out as the total armour bonus is 0.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, that's my job - to make work for everyone else! Will be a nice enhancement, though - cheers. :)

But now ya got me thinking (always dangerous) - how about doing a corresponding thing for Weakens Armor? And maybe that one would be in red? (Not sure if we've informally established any guidelines for color-coding enchantment/other effects on armor, stats, skills, etc., but that's the basic idea.) But you're the boss, so take it or leave it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, that's what I had in mind. It will work just like attributes.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

If I'm starting to have the same ideas as Interkarma, I must be doing something right - thanks!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No worries. :) This is done now and will be in next round of builds.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

This could open up the system to cursed items that can't be unequipped except by spell or quest. Makes the idea of identifying an item before using it a bit more appealing.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.