Unable To Turn While Attacking.[SOLVED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Teralitha

Re: Unable To Turn While Attacking.

Post by Teralitha »

Thanks. Ill check it out.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

OP you need to mention you're using "cursor-based" movement instead of "view-based". You'll find that very few people used that crap, which is why everyone here is confused by your post. Its existence can only be explained by how popular Dungeon Master clones used to be.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

It doesnt appear that curser based movement even exists in unity daggerfall. That function doesnt even work if I try it. And no I wouldnt use that even if I could. One person says no move, another says move. Myself I can move in classic daggerfall, but not in unity. One of us is right, or we are all wrong and the problem exists outside the game. Either way, there is a problem.

If I hold down the right mouse button, even if I am not attacking, it stops me from turning. I have an idea actually...
Last edited by Teralitha on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I solved the issue myself.....

I activated the "click to attack" just now and that solved my problem. I think Its off by default in the launcher. Perhaps it should be set to "on" by default, if its not already. Try that Jay.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Teralitha wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 amI wouldnt use that even if I could.
Your video shows you turning with the cursor in classic. You see the little white arrow being flicked around the top of the screen? That's the cursor. If you were using view-based, your view would be directly controlled by mouse gyrations. Esc/controls/mouse shows that option in classic, and if you were to change it to view-based (which is the only thing DFU has), you'd see your view locked while swinging.

Click-to-attack will indeed fix that.

pango

Post by pango »

Teralitha wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:31 am I did figure it out. In classic, you would turn off fullscreen mode to get the portrait and buttons. In unity it actually just changes from fullscreen to windowed. So I guess they removed the portrait/button view.

Or havent implemented it yet, as you said. I wasnt aware this project was only partially finished. Thanks for the link.
Daggerfall Unity is not even out of pre-alpha yet, probably still one or two months to go.

According to the roadmap it's scheduled for Alpha:
"Large classic HUD with icons and mouse cursor toggle"
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:00 am
Teralitha wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 amI wouldnt use that even if I could.
Your video shows you turning with the cursor in classic. You see the little white arrow being flicked around the top of the screen? That's the cursor. If you were using view-based, your view would be directly controlled by mouse gyrations. Esc/controls/mouse shows that option in classic, and if you were to change it to view-based (which is the only thing DFU has), you'd see your view locked while swinging.

Click-to-attack will indeed fix that.
Im not using the cursor to move in the video. Iam using the arrow keys. The arrows are only appearing because I get close to the edge of the screen. You have to hold down the mouse buttons to actually use them. Im not doing that. Anyway the problem is resolved.

BansheeXYZ

Re: Unable To Turn While Attacking.[SOLVED]

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Alright, I finally see what you're saying now. However, the difference between classic and DFU isn't necessarily a problem. This is because "Turning left" is exactly the same result as "looking left" in first-person games. When your mouse is set to look anywhere you want, there's no reason to bind keys to "turning left". In other words, movement keys need to be set to strafe.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I use different controls in DFU because of the new "mouselook." No longer need to use the 'look up\down' or the even 'left/right' keys anymore. Now all I use is forward/backward arrow keys and the slide left/right using arrow keys also and the mouse for everything else. Its bettah

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Mouselook is not new in DFU, you can also use it in classic instead of the default cursor based movement. Actually, that's what most DF players do, as Banshee said.

There is even a preconfigured controls file already available in the original game data, called "viewplyr.dat". Just edit z.cfg and replace betaplyr.dat with viewplyr.dat to get Bethesda original mouselook controls.