Casting Silence on yourself Stops Casting(unlike Classic)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Teralitha

Casting Silence on yourself Stops Casting(unlike Classic)

Post by Teralitha »

Nevermind
Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Teralitha

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Casting Silence Spell On Yourself Doesnt Work

Post by Teralitha »

Nevermind
Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teralitha

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Casting Silence Spell On Yourself Doesnt Work(But Sometimes It Does)

Post by Teralitha »

Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Casting Silence Spell On Yourself Doesnt Work(But Sometimes It Does - Bug)

Post by Interkarma »

The "effect failed" message just means the chance roll failed. What is your level and chance params on that silence spell? If the chance is very low, you'll see the failed message most often.

DFU silence will block spellcasting rather than play animation with no sound or effect payload while still losing spell points. That would have seemed like buggy behaviour to me. But I'm hundreds of effects down the line since then and can't recall changing this or my thought process at the time. I'm open to fizzling spells if that's preferred by community.

Teralitha

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Casting Silence Spell On Yourself Doesnt Work(But Sometimes It Does - Bug)

Post by Teralitha »

Ah fudge. I overlooked the chance variable. Silly me. Feel like such a noob now.

Nah I dont think you need to change anything. With a 1+1 per x the success rate is very low I can still use it for practicing. When the effects works, I can just rest it away.

mikeprichard

Re: Casting Silence on yourself Stops Casting(unlike Classic)

Post by mikeprichard »

Just noting you shouldn't feel like you have to delete your reports when they turn out to be non-issues - the information in your posts could be helpful to others, and in any case give context to the rest of the topic. But your call.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

One thing I am wondering now though, if you silence an enemy, can they still cast spells(with no effect like in classic) and waste all their magicka, or are they too halted from any spell casting?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

They're handled the same way. Internally they even use the same effect manager, with only a few special cases for player where needed (e.g. cast animations and keybinds).

pango

Post by pango »

In his last stream, @JohnBeavers said that casting silence on yourself was a know way to improve your sealthness...

That seems very adhoc, I don' t if anybody tried to measure that effect?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am In his last stream, @JohnBeavers said that casting silence on yourself was a know way to improve your sealthness...

That seems very adhoc, I don' t if anybody tried to measure that effect?
News to me. if only someone would have brought this up before. <cough>Jay Hova</cough>
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.