Quest length

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ommamar

Quest length

Post by Ommamar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 am

I have noticed a trend that I seem to be getting a ridiculous number of days to complete generic quests. This last one I got 79 days to kill some giants which seems excessive, of course I can't find the big buggers so I might need it. Just wondering if this is the intent I can see some of the main quests giving a long time but this was just a random general quest from the fighters guild.

pango

Re: Quest length

Post by pango » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:20 am

Hi,
Right now Daggerfall Unity does not accurately emulate quest clocks like classic, but uses conservative overestimations instead.
Some reverse engineering effort has been done to better understand how classic implements clocks, but because of the risk related to changing clocks implementation, Daggerfall Unity will probably stay as-is until 1.0 release, at least.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:08 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:20 am
Hi,
Right now Daggerfall Unity does not accurately emulate quest clocks like classic, but uses conservative overestimations instead.
Some reverse engineering effort has been done to better understand how classic implements clocks, but because of the risk related to changing clocks implementation, Daggerfall Unity will probably stay as-is until 1.0 release, at least.
Interesting as I didn't notice this until I upgraded to 0.10.2, it isn't a big deal when you find what is needed for a quest quickly but if you don't it can be a drag to have something in your log for 70+ days. You can still get around it by traveling around so I guess that will be my solution for the current build.

pango

Post by pango » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 pm

That's certainly not specific to 0.10.2, I don't think anything related to clocks was changed lately.
Having one quest around just waiting to expire is not a big deal, say if you want to start another quest from the same guild you can just go to the next town; It only holds one specific questor.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 pm

What quests have a long delay before they expire?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Jay_H wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 pm
What quests have a long delay before they expire?
Well the one I am talking about was a random quest from the fighters guild it gave me like 79 days to complete it, apparently it is a thing so either I never saw it happen on the last two DFU builds I played or I just didn't notice.

Yah that is true I suppose I could just go to the next town to get another quest from the guild there but I have a tendency to nest and use one town as my base of operation.

That does bring up a question, where can you see your reputation? Or can you in DFU?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm

Completed quests should disappear from the log when you finish them. If you're talking about accepting quests and leaving them undone, then yes they'll remain.

If you go into your F5 screen, then click on Affiliations, it should show your reputation with each guild you're a part of.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:26 pm

That rep value was only put there to aid in debugging and I still plan to remove it before DFU gets released, but maybe there's an argument to be made for it to stay.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:39 pm

I really like being able to see your faction rep values in the Affiliations pop-up, though I realize many might see this as a "cheat". Yet another DFU selectable option, maybe? :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:14 pm

Jay_H wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm
Completed quests should disappear from the log when you finish them. If you're talking about accepting quests and leaving them undone, then yes they'll remain.

If you go into your F5 screen, then click on Affiliations, it should show your reputation with each guild you're a part of.
I know completed quests will disappear as will quests you are not able to complete in the allotted time but if you are unable to find the item/person in time it will remain in the log. It is not game breaking by any means just was surprised that a random quest like that would have such a long completion time.

I know you can see your current rating and reputation with any guild you are in, I was referring to the groups you can see at character creation such as underworld, nobility, merchants, etc, etc. One of my builds is kind of a wander around help the common person type who travels from town to town doing odd jobs for people. I have noticed that when I enter a new town the people seem hesitant only offering small take this here jobs or go get this from here for me. But after a few of those I seem to get bigger quests, a lot of the quests are RNG but wondering if by building re pore you raise your reputation thus raising your chance to get better quests. I have started implementing the charm spell which speeds the process up but would like to be able to see where exactly I stand with the populous factions.

On an unrelated note: "This Khajiit is quite offended that in his history he is lumped in with a bunch of Breton children. This one holds no fault his family had to live in High Rock when he was growing up!" I am assuming this to be the case as it would be the only thing that would make sense with how the history is written.