No Sound

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Whip

No Sound

Post by Whip »

I installed DFU without any issues except that I thought the folder I would be unzipping to was an install folder not the actual game play folder (maybe make a note of that within the download) so I unzipped to another more appropriate location and deleted the folder previously made in the appdata... location. Now I have no sound. When I returned to the original unzip location and ran it I still had no sound yet their was sound in the form of music from the very beginning initially.

I'm using version Alpha 0.10.3 running Windows 10 64bit and with the recommended DaggerfallSetup version of the game.

Neither DaggerfallSetup or DFU appear within the list of programs for removal so I wonder if some other file is placed in a windows folder other than the main install folder and the DFU folder and the AppData... folder otherwise there seems to be no other way to "uninstall" other than deleting folders and hoping there isn't a persistent file holding details that are interfering with my sound when trying to reinstall it.

Interkarma

Re: No Sound

Post by Interkarma »

Please review Installing Daggerfall Unity and Other Information for steps on installing the game correctly. This information is also linked from Live Builds page.

Daggerfall Unity doesn't install anything - it's just an unzipped folder (just need to delete folder to remove). The only place where persistent data is store is in the persistent data path (also covered in topic linked above).

I'd recommend deleting your persistent data path and creating a new install by following the "Using DaggerfallGameFiles (Cross Platform)" steps above.

I don't know if this will solve your sound issue though, I've not encountered that issue before. Let us know how you get on.

Whip

Post by Whip »

I'm not sure what is meant by "deleting your persistent data path" but this is what I did.

1. Deleted the DFU folder
2. Deleted the Daggerfall Workshop folder under AppData
3. Delete the Daggerfall game as it was installed via DaggerfallSetup-2.15.0 (Recommended)

Did a hard reset of PC and reinstalled the game and DFU. Still no sound.

Then I recalled that originally I had wireless headphones on when I first launched the game initially. So I re-enabled them and relaunched the game and there is sound. I can then shutdown my wireless headphones and get the sound through my PC as well... but only after first launching the game with active bluetooth headphones. So weird, I'm not sure why the sound only kicks in on my PC once invoked through the wireless headphones but it works so I'm happy to return to my all time favorite RPG.

Thanks for the help and for breathing in new life into this great game.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not extremely technically versed :lol: But if you're happy, so are we! :) In any case it doesn't sound DFU-related.