Getting started as a High Elf Mage

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Sammy

Getting started as a High Elf Mage

Post by Sammy »

I've never played Daggerfall before, but damn is starting out as a High Elf Mage supposed to be so rough? I barely made it out of the starting dungeon alive (just sprinted away from the monsters until finally finding the exit). I have enough spell points for 3 just shock spells before needing to rest, and every quest I find in town seems to be way too hard for me. Any tips?

Firebrand

Re: Getting started as a High Elf Mage

Post by Firebrand »

I've got two tips for a mage:
  • make a custom class with the class advantage Increased Magery - spell points equal to 3XINT
  • use this awesome mod:
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1653
    that adds Magicka Regeneration. I've found this setting for something comparable to Oblivion or Skyrim:
    Minimum Magicka Regeneration to 100
    Willpower Multiplier Percent to 11

Ommamar

Re: Getting started as a High Elf Mage

Post by Ommamar »

I prefer custom classes but I also think you can make any class work. Did you join the mages guild? If you can afford it get the hand of sleep spell then you can start doing the cast sleep spell to get some faction reputation and funds. Once you join the mages guild use the spell maker to make a lower cost damage spell then the default shock. Which will help quite a bit but as a mage you are a slave to your magic pool so likely end up resting a lot. I would avoid dungeon quests until level 3 or so. Even if all your weapon skills are miscellaneous still use one or even your feet (no material hit restriction on hand to hand), initially you will miss a lot but they will raise enough to be useful as a backup when out of magic. You can also see if you can join the fighters guild who will give you simple go kill rats/bats or an animal quest. These are a good way to start getting some money. The local people particularly tavern dwellers owners can give simple quests or really complex multi-part quests so it is wise to save before you talk to them.