Quest location bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
JokeDeity

Quest location bug

Post by JokeDeity »

First I want to apologize if this is not proper reporting, I wasn't sure if I should comment on a similar topic or start a new one.

In Gothway Garden I was given a quest by Uthastyr Hawkton to protect him from assassins at Wicksley Residence, but I've been directed instead to a tavern and the NPCs inside say that it is Wicksley Residence.

Jay_H

Re: Quest location bug

Post by Jay_H »

Is it that one tavern that's black on the automap and no one offers services inside? ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Good call Jay, there's a house that's all dressed up in Tavern fancy dress and this could cause this for sure.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

In classic you cannot enter it ("This house has nothing of value"), which mitigates the bug...

I still find it unbelievable that, being at the very northern border of Gothway Garden, it can be the very first building a player tries to interact with.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, that is unfortunate. We could possibly hot-fix this building type at runtime so it operates as a real tavern. The key is that innkeeper NPC actually has correct faction settings to operate services. Obviously, I haven't explored this deeply and I'm just throwing out a potential solution.

JokeDeity

Post by JokeDeity »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 pm Is it that one tavern that's black on the automap and no one offers services inside? ;)
Before this goes too far I need to say it isn't. It's a regular tavern that could be entered, had 3-4 NPCs in the main room, one offering talk and food/beverages, one just talked and I don't recall what the other two did, I think there may have been an NPC in one of the bedrooms as well.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Taverns are never treated as residences for quests (except in the case above where tavern is marked as a residence in game data). If you'd like to add more clarity, attaching a save game is the fastest way. :)

JokeDeity

Post by JokeDeity »

I'm having trouble finding the save file, but I just checked again, it's as I said, completely LIKE a tavern, but does not come up on the map as green after I go in. I made a save directly outside as soon as I can find/someone can tell me where to look for the save I'll upload. EDIT: Got it.

SAVE2.7z
(175.7 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JokeDeity wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm Before this goes too far I need to say it isn't. It's a regular tavern that could be entered, had 3-4 NPCs in the main room, one offering talk and food/beverages, one just talked and I don't recall what the other two did, I think there may have been an NPC in one of the bedrooms as well.

I nailed it! :D Yes, this dysfunctional tavern is a part of Daggerfall's game data. It's a residence, though it doesn't appear to be.

JokeDeity

Post by JokeDeity »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:13 pm I nailed it! :D Yes, this dysfunctional tavern is a part of Daggerfall's game data. It's a residence, though it doesn't appear to be.
I don't know what's wrong with my memory, I must have mixed up a different tavern, but I just double checked and confirmed they DO NOT offer services, I apologize because I swore they did offer me the regular options before.

With that said, it is the location everyone sent me to for a quest, but it doesn't seem like the quest can be completed as the NPCs that are supposed to be there are not.