Very few houses for sale.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
newsamsam

Re: Very few houses for sale.

Post by newsamsam »

And here is a bugged house for sale I encounter just now.It has this lovely yard with hays and camels.But there's no bank in this tiny town.
20190902225047.png
20190902225047.png (65.97 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Attachments
20190902225033.png
20190902225033.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1214 times

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Interesting, could you provide the exact location?

newsamsam

Post by newsamsam »

Ferital wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm Interesting, could you provide the exact location?
Wadijoniton in Abibon-Gora

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Thanks, the same house is also for sale in classic, this a not a real issue as this is a game data related field. Maybe one day, someone will make a mod letting you buy houses in hamlets like that :)

newsamsam

Post by newsamsam »

Ferital wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 am Maybe one day, someone will make a mod letting you buy houses in hamlets like that :)
THAT would be Awsome :D

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Last update for devs: classic uses the list of buildings of the town corresponding "Map P Item" to get the list of houses for sale. Now the problem is this list contains fewer buildings than the actual buildings obtained from RMB blocks combination. So, we can't rely on any index information to establish the correspondence between blocks buildings and map buildings. I looked into both maps and blocks unknown fields but didn't find something useful there.

So I still need to reverse other bits of code to understand the mechanics... I feel like I could decompile the entire game in 2 or 3 months as a full time job...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ferital wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am Last update for devs: classic uses the list of buildings of the town corresponding "Map P Item" to get the list of houses for sale. Now the problem is this list contains fewer buildings than the actual buildings obtained from RMB blocks combination. So, we can't rely on any index information to establish the correspondence between blocks buildings and map buildings. I looked into both maps and blocks unknown fields but didn't find something useful there.
Not only that, but those records contain invalid building types not even present in the actual block layouts. That data is wonky as hell and gave me loads of grief during early development. My solution was to more or less ignore that data and use real block data as authoritative.

I honestly feel that buildings for sale could grab a few houses at random (use location ID as a seed or something so it's deterministic) and make sure they're excluded from the quest system. That will make end users happy with a variety of homes to purchase, and not bog us down to reverse engineering a system that has no real analogue on DFU or any real value to preserve perfectly. I think sometimes the DOS disassembly might send us down paths that aren't worth travelling.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah, I agree. At this point we have enough info about roughly what classic does to re-implement something that works similarly without needing the minutiae of the original code.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am Not only that, but those records contain invalid building types not even present in the actual block layouts. That data is wonky as hell and gave me loads of grief during early development. My solution was to more or less ignore that data and use real block data as authoritative.

I honestly feel that buildings for sale could grab a few houses at random (use location ID as a seed or something so it's deterministic) and make sure they're excluded from the quest system. That will make end users happy with a variety of homes to purchase, and not bog us down to reverse engineering a system that has no real analogue on DFU or any real value to preserve perfectly. I think sometimes the DOS disassembly might send us down paths that aren't worth travelling.
Classic seems to mostly rely on map building data info rather than block one. From what I could understand, block buildings data is used as a base and more or less tweaked for each town, mostly regarding shop quality and building types. Also, many unknown and/or originally null fields are modified and used at runtime.

But I agree for this kind of feature, we don't really need to exactly match classic. At first, I thought it would be easy to understand classic "give me all houses for sale" mechanics after I found the main function behind it. But it wasn't the case in the end...

So, I definitely agree we could implement our own mechanism there. We just have to remember to also exclude occupied houses from the list. Not that I am against having a roommate, but I would fear she/he could steal all my stuff :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ferital wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:37 am So, I definitely agree we could implement our own mechanism there. We just have to remember to also exclude occupied houses from the list. Not that I am against having a roommate, but I would fear she/he could steal all my stuff :)
Not an issue, once you purchase a house all NPC 'squatters' are evicted. (i.e. the flats are disabled when laying out the building)

Some of the actual marked houses for sale have occupants so it had to be done already.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods