Guards keep arresting me but I'm dependable and I committed no crime [solved, maybe]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
srk:.

Guards keep arresting me but I'm dependable and I committed no crime [solved, maybe]

Post by srk:. »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and to Daggerfall. I want to start saying DFU is great and I appreciate all the work everyone has contributed to it.

My problem is pretty much the title of this topic. I've searched the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar so I ask here for a possible solution.

A merchant in Sentinel falsely accused me of stealing a jewel so I started this (wonderful) quest to redeem myself. I've checked and this quest I'm talking about is not A Mix-Up. In my quest I had to track down an incriminating letter, retrieve the stolen jewel from a dungeon, find a guy mentioned in the letter and finally meet with the original merchant to redeem myself. Once completed this quest my reputation increased to "dependable", but guards in Sentinel keep arresting me.

As I continued to play after that, I noticed that even guards from Daggerfall started to chase me. I was doing the quest The Impostor and when
Spoiler!
I confronted the agent's master, and it turned into a orc shaman, i killed it,
then travelled from sentinel to Daggerfall and not only the guards there wanted to arrest me, but an orc spawned.

So I ask you if there is a solution. I'm really enjoying Daggerfall (and DFU) so I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance :)

(I hope this is the right place in the forum to post this as I don't know if this is a bug)

Info:
Daggerfall Unity Windows x64 Alpha 0.10.4
DaggerfallSetup 2.15.0 with Unofficial Fixes
Mods enabled: Improved Interior Lighting, Convenient Clock
This is my Player log file
This is a save file just before completing The impostor quest.
This is a save file just after completing the aforementioned quest and traveling to Daggerfall.
Last edited by srk:. on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ommamar

Re: Guards keep arresting me but I'm dependable and I committed no crime

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

srk:. wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 pm Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and to Daggerfall. I want to start saying DFU is great and I appreciate all the work everyone has contributed to it.

My problem is pretty much the title of this topic. I've searched the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar so I ask here for a possible solution.

A merchant in Sentinel falsely accused me of stealing a jewel so I started this (wonderful) quest to redeem myself. I've checked and this quest I'm talking about is not A Mix-Up. In my quest I had to track down an incriminating letter, retrieve the stolen jewel from a dungeon, find a guy mentioned in the letter and finally meet with the original merchant to redeem myself. Once completed this quest my reputation increased to "dependable", but guards in Sentinel keep arresting me.

So I ask you if there is a solution. I'm really enjoying Daggerfall (and DFU) so I hope you can help me.

I'm using DFU 0.10.4 and DaggerfallSetup 2.15.0 with Unofficial Fixes as the guide suggested. If necessary I can provide my save file.

Thanks in advance :)

(I hope this is the right place in the forum to post this as I don't know if this is a bug)
Save game could provide the information needed. For example, I know that FactionData.txt contains your PC reputation with all the factions (it's the attribute "rep"). I'm not sure however, that, for example, your reputation with the Faction "Sentinel" is the same as your legal reputation within the region :?
For what I know, guards will look for you if your legal reputation within that region is negative.

Maybe someone else could provide that info ;)

First thing first, thank for your help!

As I said, the quest that started this "guard problem" wasn't "A Mix-Up", but as I continued to play after that I noticed that even guards from Daggerfall started to chase me. I was doing the quest The Impostor and when
Spoiler!
I confronted the agent's master, and it turned into a orc shaman, i killed it,
then travelled from sentinel to Daggerfall and not only the guards there wanted to arrest me, but an orc spawned.

Anyway, this is my save file just before completing the aforementioned quest and this just after completing it and traveling to Daggerfall. This is my Player log file. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using DFU Windows x64 Alpha 0.10.4, DaggerfallSetup 2.15.0 with Unofficial Fixes and just two mods, Improved Interior Lighting and Convenient Clock, but I doubt those have nothing to do with the problem.

Thanks again :)
Last edited by srk:. on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Please follow the instructions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=313 to get your save game up on the board.

Thanks Ommamar. I've added the Player log file and updated the opening post with all the information required.

It seems that I found a "solution" to my problem, but first an image of the guards mob that constantly spawn when I'm in town:

Searching through SaveData.txt of my character I found several entries called "SeverePunishmentFlags". Only one of these had the value "1" and it was near the entry "LegalRep" with a value of "3". All others entries of both of these had value "0". I thought immediately that it was my Sentinel problem where I'm "dependable" while, at the same time, being chased by guards.

Long story short, changing "SeverePunishmentFlags" to 0 resolved the guard mob problem.

Now, I still don't know if being constantly arrested by guards for having committed no crime (and being dependable) was a bug o what, but I thought to post my findings to maybe help others.

Ommamar

Re: Guards keep arresting me but I'm dependable and I committed no crime [solved, maybe]

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Guards keep arresting me but I'm dependable and I committed no crime [solved, maybe]

I really don't know Ommamar. My theory is the quest similar to A Mix-Up flagged my character with "criminal conspiracy" and "SeverePunishmentFlags" but, maybe due to a bug, forget to reset those flags to 0 when the quest was completed.

Being new to Daggerfall I really don't know if stumbling in that quest was meant to condemn me to being chased by spawning guards for the rest of the playthrough, but I doubt it. At any rate, choosing a thief/assassin carer and being forced to visit cities only by night when guards are less present would be interesting.