Strange smearing effect when moving

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Re: Strange smearing effect when moving

Post by King of Worms »

Ok I will repeat the question :D
Does it happen all the time?

Or is it when u run thru the wilds and new chunk of terrain is loaded.. once upon a time?

KriosMirth

Post by KriosMirth »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:33 pm Ok I will repeat the question :D
Does it happen all the time?

Or is it when u run thru the wilds and new chunk of terrain is loaded.. once upon a time?
It happens whenever I move in the over world and in dungeons/buildings.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

So u tryed disabling postprocessing mod COMPLETELY, right?

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Would you say the effect is like a line across the screen, and above and below that line, the graphics kinda move around at a just tiny difference in speed?

LordReems

Post by LordReems »

Krios, I think I'm getting this as well. Have you found any solution or has it improved? Do you have vsync or gsync enabled?

I'm running at above 100+ fps (i9 9900k w/ 1080ti). I'm not sure the best way to describe it but it feels like there's extreme microstuttering all the time everywhere, mostly noticeable on brick walls and such. It's like the textures don't move smoothly but rather are jumping many many times per second as the character moves throughout the world creating that smear effect like you say. It was immediately noticeable looking at the tunnel walls in the tutorial dungeon and I hoped it was just a case with that dungeon but it happens everywhere I've been to so far including buildings in towns. It's very subtle and honestly feels like it's making me a bit motion sick which I've never experienced from a game before. I don't know if a video would show the effect it's so subtle but while playing the game it is noticeable.

This is with mods both enabled and disabled, with NO postprocessing mod installed. I wonder if it has anything to do with the game running in borderless fullscreen mode or maybe a high frame rate issue?

Not sure if this is just how the game is or not but regardless I am enjoying it so far!

Mod list just in case:
Spoiler!
Enhanced Sky
Mountains and Hills
Quest Pack
RealGrass
BirdsInDaggerfall
DREAM
Handpainted Models

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

do you play above medium shadow resolution? if so go back to medium shadows resolution and see if that helps

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sounds like some kind of uncommon vsync issue.
Maybe the new exclusive fullscreen mode will help. I saw its in the making, should be in a new release version.

LordReems

Post by LordReems »

I wanted to provide an update in case this could help the OP or anybody else that might have this issue. I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread if it turns out my issue has nothing to do with OP's issue but they do sound similar.

I used nvidia profile inspector to create a profile for Daggerfall Unity and assigned the DaggerfallUnity.exe to this profile. I set the frame rate limiter to 60 fps, gsync application mode OFF, gsync application state FORCE OFF, triple buffer OFF (tbh I have no clue what this does), and vsync to USE 3D APPLICATION SETTING. In game I have vsync ON, mouse smoothing ON (setting this OFF made the mouse-look very slow), and shadows set to LOW (though it was happening with ultra and medium before I limited my fps to 60 so maybe this doesn't matter).

Setting fps limiter to 30fps made the mouse unbearably floaty and the game felt like a traditional slow 30fps console game, 120fps made the game stutter about 4 times per second, and 165fps was the original extreme microstuttering textures issue I had before.

So far I think limiting the fps to 60 is the best solution for me but I will be messing with the nvidia profile settings in the next few days to figure out the best setup for my rig. I use a gsync monitor at 165 fps hence turning off gsync in nvidia profile inspector. Ideally I would want the highest fps allowed by my monitor but it doesn't matter that much and being able to play comfortably is much more important to me than high fps!

If there is indeed a new exclusive fullscreen mode in the works I think that would be the best solution. Just from my experience with other games I feel like exclusive fullscreen mode sort of "locks" in the game better than borderless fullscreen but I am ignorant of these things so maybe it wouldn't change anything. Anyways, hopefully this can help someone else because so far it's working pretty well for me!