Quest Description Bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Firebrand

Quest Description Bug

Post by Firebrand »

There's a strange line added at the end of the description of the Akatosh Chantry quest Avenge the Dragons (d0b00y00).

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Avenge_the_Dragons
d0b00y00
d0b00y00
Akatosh Quest d0b00y00 bug.png (947.31 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Also something similar on the Fighters Guild quest Hunt_for_Harpies (m0b1xy01)

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Hunt_for_Harpies
m0b1xy01
m0b1xy01
Harpies - what.png (958.49 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

Jay_H

Re: Quest Description Bug

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, those are notes I added while editing these quests. They weren't supposed to show up, but I must not have formatted them properly. I'll add another line and see if I can have them blocked out.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

I've found another oddity: the quest giver from Akatosh when I accept the quest The Missing Scholar (c0b00y03) thanks Mara ( :roll: :lol: )
c0b00y03
c0b00y03
Mara or Akatosh.png (738.89 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Also, I suppose the correct spelling is "walks with you" :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The grammar is fine. It's what we call subjunctive; it uses the alternate form of the verb due to certain underlying assumptions. To be short, in this case the intended phrase is "May Mara walk with you," and "may" is omitted.

The variable %god currently chooses one of the eight deities at random. It isn't programmed to choose the temple's specific god yet.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:17 pm The grammar is fine. It's what we call subjunctive; it uses the alternate form of the verb due to certain underlying assumptions. To be short, in this case the intended phrase is "May Mara walk with you," and "may" is omitted.
:shock: Your command of English is excellent, better than mine for sure.. never knew what a subjunctive was before now. :)
Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:17 pm The variable %god currently chooses one of the eight deities at random. It isn't programmed to choose the temple's specific god yet.
Erm, yes it is. There are 3 different contextual implementations actually, and the quest one has a catchall which is a random god. Guess that's what's being used here. First it tries to get the god of the person last referenced, then the god of the quest giver, and then falls through to random.

If different behaviour is required, please define it and then we can fix it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You're probably all over this by now Jay, but linking my topic about comment changes in text blocks below in case it helps. :)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2104&p=24561

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I uploaded a fix to github... Hopefully I've formatted the code properly ;)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 pm
Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:17 pm The grammar is fine. It's what we call subjunctive; it uses the alternate form of the verb due to certain underlying assumptions. To be short, in this case the intended phrase is "May Mara walk with you," and "may" is omitted.
:shock: Your command of English is excellent, better than mine for sure.. never knew what a subjunctive was before now. :)
Oh well, now, as a non-native English-speaker, I feel better :lol: ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 pm If different behaviour is required, please define it and then we can fix it.
If a person belongs to X temple, can that person always use %god to refer to the patron god of that temple?

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:53 am
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 pm If different behaviour is required, please define it and then we can fix it.
If a person belongs to X temple, can that person always use %god to refer to the patron god of that temple?
If, like in the example, that person is invoking a blessing, then yes.
I've read on UESP (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Akatosh_Chantry) that there are rivalries between temples factions, and that, for example, House of Dibella is an enemy of Akatosh Chantry, while Benevolence of Mara is an ally. So, it would sound strange if a priestess of Akatosh would invoke Dibella's blessing :?