Is Natural Spell Absorption & Immunity working for you?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
GreyGhost

Is Natural Spell Absorption & Immunity working for you?

Post by GreyGhost »

I can absorb my own damage spells 100% of the time, but I cannot seem to absorb any destruction spells cast on me by Monsters. Such as Imps & Orc Shamans.

Even if my spell points are 1 out of 300 with a stock High Elf Sorcerer edited to have 100 intelligence and 95 in all casting skills (only changes btw) I can never absorb the Destruction spells cast on me by the first Imp in Privateer's Hold. I also loaded up the DosBox version of the game that DFUnity requires with non-edited stock rolled High Elf Sorcerer and there I absorb the Imps spell every time.
EDIT: I forgot to mention I can still resist the spell sometimes (no damage taken), but never in the dozens of tries have I absorbed any.

Also a little off-topic FYI, the DOS version checks spell resistance before Absorbtion, so you can outright resist the spell before you can absorb it.

I've noticed characters with immunity still seem to take damage from what they are supposedly immune. For Example if I make a High Elf custom class immune to everything except Paralysis (built-in), I can still sometimes take a huge hit from the Imp's spell. I did the background for that character myself and made sure the only negative I took was to Fatigue. So they should be 100% immune. Is Willpower playing some role here possibly?

I feel like I wouldn't be the only one to notice this, so am I the only one experiencing these problems? I am playing the latest version, but maybe I should do a clean install.

Interkarma

Re: Is Natural Spell Absorption & Immunity working for you?

Post by Interkarma »

If you can attach a zipped copy of your save, I'd be happy to take a look.

It would also help to know the exact version number please, as "latest version" doesn't tell me which version you're actually on. Lots of people tell me they're on the latest version only for me to discover they're several versions behind. It helps to always state this one explicitly, thank you. :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 am If you can attach a zipped copy of your save, I'd be happy to take a look.
No problem!
DF_Saves.7z
(432.15 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Mr. Test is for Absorb & Immune is self explanatory :)
I don't have any mods installed btw.
Interkarma wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 am It would also help to know the exact version number please, as "latest version" doesn't tell me which version you're actually on. Lots of people tell me they're on the latest version only for me to discover they're several versions behind. It helps to always state this one explicitly, thank you. :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360
Alpha 0.10.4 on the live builds page for Windows 64-bit. Filename is "interkarma-daggerfall-unity-daggerfallunity_windows_x64-96.zip". Base game is "DaggerfallSetup-2.15.0.exe"

BTW I noticed all the other OS downloads are labeled #165 except for the the Win64 which is #96, does that mean anything?
EDIT: Pause screen shows 0.10.4 in the upper right corner.

tolath

Post by tolath »

I can confirm that it still happening in v0.10.22. To reproduce: load attached save by GreyGhost.
Or create new character: magery 3xint and spell absorption: general/in darkness. After that use up most of your mana to get some room for spell absorption.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Already to be fixed in the next build - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3596#p42209

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Mike.

As there was a far more recent topic on this subject which contained a resolution, I'm not sure why it was necessary to necro one that was several months old. I'll close this one now.