Target and element conflicts in multi-effect spells

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
BansheeXYZ

Target and element conflicts in multi-effect spells

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Not sure if this is a known issue or not, but I noticed that target and element are global settings for a spell in classic, but not in DFU.

In classic example: select "Identify" as the first effect, and when you go to add a second effect, all of the effects that aren't caster-only get filtered out. This disables you from creating a spell that supports you and damages something else. So you can't, for example, cast a spell that heals you and also launches a fireball.

P.S.
I think what made this go unnoticed for so long is awkward ui design in classic for spellmaking procedure. Targeting type and element can be selected before effect, so you'd expect the effect list to immediately filter out effects based on those settings, but it doesn't. It only kicks in for secondary effects.

To make this clearer, I would filter the effect list immediately. I would also strikethrough or gray out inapplicable effects instead of just hiding them to ensure the player knows they are available under different choices. You'd lose the ability to adjust target/element after effect. So you'd be trading a minor convenience for a lot more clarity.