Found inconsistent dungeon: The Roost of Grumerus [GAME DATA RELATED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ferital

Re: Found inconsistent dungeon: The Roost of Grumerus [GAME DATA RELATED]

Post by Ferital »

After a thorough examination of dungeon blocks, I came to the conclusion that dungeon combinations seem to always consider that western entrances of a block are connected to each other, as is the case with all border blocks.

So my first assumption was wrong, N0000055.RDB is not faulty in Ruins of Kinghouse Grange, Glenpoint. The problem comes from N0000071.RDB lower western entrance which leads to a dead-end. I fixed it by connecting this dead-end to a nearby corridor and did the same for W0000020.RDB, which has the exact same issue (it was a little tricky to fix it as I had to use a stair, though). I also fixed W0000018.RDB to connect its upper rooms as was suggested in this thread.

I finally closed my two previous RDB related PRs and opened a new one: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2130
After this is merged, The Roost of Grumerus and all dungeons mentioned in this thread should not be broken anymore.

pango

Post by pango »

Ferital wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 pm After a thorough examination of dungeon blocks, I came to the conclusion that dungeon combinations seem to always consider that western entrances of a block are connected to each other, as is the case with all border blocks.
I've suspected some anisotropy like that (personally I suspected this to be true for west and north sides), but ran out of steam before I checked all ~120 modules to be sure it was true (or true for the majority of modules and declare others probably buggy).
Nice work!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ruins of Tower Hearthhart in Phrygias has also disconnected parts, which can lead to quest targets in unreachable dungeon parts:

These are again the unconnected big rooms already mentioned in this thread.

Quest target is either generated in a room with a bookshelf (reachable) or in the underwater section (not reachable).

pango

Post by pango »

haloterm wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 pm Ruins of Tower Hearthhart in Phrygias has also disconnected parts, which can lead to quest targets in unreachable dungeon parts:
Yes, same as this
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I fixed this block (W0000018.RDB) some time ago: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2130
I just checked with the last DFU version and the two rooms are indeed connected, indirectly, by a corridor I added.

It seems that you are using smaller dungeons haloterm, so this may explain why the fix isn't applied correctly in this case, although it should.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ferital wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:06 pm I fixed this block (W0000018.RDB) some time ago: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2130
I just checked with the last DFU version and the two rooms are indeed connected, indirectly, by a corridor I added.

It seems that you are using smaller dungeons haloterm, so this may explain why the fix isn't applied correctly in this case, although it should.
Thanks for the heads up!

Indeed I use smaller dungeons, I will try with default dungeons :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ferital wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:06 pm It seems that you are using smaller dungeons haloterm, so this may explain why the fix isn't applied correctly in this case, although it should.
I checked this again. In fact, I checked my settings.ini and I never had smaller dungeons activated (setting is "false").

Now I am not sure how that works... When I dump the location with the console, I can see that the dungeon has a blockcount of 13, but the dumped jsonfile shows only 5 blocks (one of them is W0000018.RDB, plus B0000013.RDB, B0000004.RBD and two times B0000014.RDB).

But in fact changing the "smaller dungeons" setting does not make any difference at all to that dungeon, which confuses me a lot. The dungeon is identical when I reveal it (map_revealall) and the json file is also the same, regardless if I have smaller dungeons true or false.

Edit: Okay, found the problem. I have the "unofficial block, location and model fixes" mod installed. That mod apparently does not take your change to W0000018.RDB into account yet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for reporting back with your findings. It can be challenging working out sometimes why something someone fixed still presents as broken, and this is good info in case it comes up again. Cheers!