Quest items cannot be dropped

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Yagiza

Re: Quest items cannot be dropped

Post by Yagiza »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 pm
Yagiza wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm To tell the truth, I just can't imagine a player so stupid, to drop quest item accidentally.
:lol:

You haven't seen what we've seen.
Sure
If you want to be able to write a drop-item mechanic, you can program a "use _item_ do _drop_" action.
_drop_ task:
take _item_ from pc
say 1010
Message 1010:
<ce> You discard the Item.
You can allocate it to specific buildings if you need to give it more than one use.
Making special quest event for something, which should work naturally is obviously a bad idea.
And if I want to make the item used later? Or just need to use it for different purpose (without removing)?
This will make really complicated mechanic for something, which supposed to work out of the box, but was broken due to stupid players.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

You're talking about dropping a quest item. Isn't the idea of using it later contradictory?

As was mentioned before, this change has received overwhelming praise -- this is the first time I've seen anyone speak against it. If you want to make a case against it you're free to, but the burden of proof is yours.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 am You're talking about dropping a quest item. Isn't the idea of using it later contradictory?
No. Just look.
We have an Item and an NPC, which does something when PC talks to them having the Item and doing something else, when PC talks to them not having it.
This Item could be used later for some task.
If player want to switch to a branch, which starts, when he talks to NPC, not having an Item, he drops the Item, talks to the NPC, then picks the item and go on to the event, where it can be used.
As was mentioned before, this change has received overwhelming praise -- this is the first time I've seen anyone speak against it. If you want to make a case against it you're free to, but the burden of proof is yours.
I'm not against the feature. I just want to make it optional.
Either by adding an option in Advanced GamePlay settings on startup screen, or by just displaying a warning message, when user dorps the item:
<item_name> is a quest item.
Losing it may cause quest fail.
Are you sure you want to drop it?

[YES] [NO]
And similar message on attempt to sell the Item.

Those options are not mutually exclusive: we may add an Advanced setting Allow to drop quest items with 3 options:
  • Allowed
  • Allowed, with confirmation
  • Not allowed

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Yagiza wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 amWe have an Item and an NPC, which does something when PC talks to them having the Item and doing something else, when PC talks to them not having it. This Item could be used later for some task.If player want to switch to a branch, which starts, when he talks to NPC, not having an Item, he drops the Item, talks to the NPC, then picks the item and go on to the event, where it can be used.
Do you have any actual examples, because I can't find any quests that are built for this sort of thing to happen. Why would you talk to someone who wants the item and will take it from you if you have it? Why not just avoid talking to that person?

And if you were writing a quest and wanted the player to optionally give an item to someone, you'd just make a prompt for that npc like "Can I see the note you found? [yes][no]" Requiring the player to drop the item in order to hide it from the npc makes no sense to me.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:53 pm Do you have any actual examples, because I can't find any quests that are built for this sort of thing to happen. Why would you talk to someone who wants the item and will take it from you if you have it? Why not just avoid talking to that person?
Why do you think about taking the item from PC? NPC may just react differently.
Let's suppose, we have an Item e. g. a Mark, making him beleive, that you're a member of some kind of organization, or just a courier.
So, when he sees, that PC have the Mark, he gives him a quest, which allows PC to get something.
But when PC have no mark, NPC may think that he is a spy or something, transform to a mob and attack him. And when PC kills him, he can find another useful Item in his inventory, so player goes on a different branch of the quest.
Of course, we may add a prompt
Show Mark to <NPC name>?
[YES] [NO]
but it will be a hint to a player. And in a good quest, the player should at least think a little, and not just move from one hint to another, doing what they ask him to.
And if you were writing a quest and wanted the player to optionally give an item to someone, you'd just make a prompt for that npc like "Can I see the note you found? [yes][no]" Requiring the player to drop the item in order to hide it from the npc makes no sense to me.
Of course, we can write more complicated code as a workaround for broken mechanics. But I believe, making such changes optional is much better solution.