New Noob Modder needs pointers!!

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kingoscruff

New Noob Modder needs pointers!!

Post by Kingoscruff »

Greetings, I found DFTU while browsing mods for Daggerfall, I completed the three tutorials pdf's and I have some VERY noobish questions to ask:

1) How do I create my own custom dungeon instead of using the default dungeons?
2) Is connecting interior-to-exterior parents the same as exterior-to-interior?
3) Can someone suggest to me a tutiroal for scripting?
4) Is it possible to create my own landmass?
5) Is it possible for my to create a race/class/race/etc?

Any help would be appreicated. I'm sorry I'm bothering you with such trivial questions

Interkarma

Re: New Noob Modder needs pointers!!

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Kingoscruff welcome to the forums. :)
1) How do I create my own custom dungeon instead of using the default dungeons?
DFTFU is designed to pull the block and map layouts directly from Daggerfall in a procedural way. To create your own dungeons, you need to lay out interior blocks (N*, W*, M*, etc.) and close them off with border blocks (B*). This article on UESP has a pretty good description of how dungeon layouts work. You should also grab a copy of Daggerfall Modelling to more easily explore the blocks and their layouts. Be sure to grab the correct XNA 3.1 Framework or it won't run.

You can either lay out the blocks manually or in the editor, or hack in your own layout code to build some very large dungeons on the run. Lypyl experimented with a way of building ridiculously huge dungeons a while back and he should be happy to share his code.
2) Is connecting interior-to-exterior parents the same as exterior-to-interior?
They are similar in that they both use static doors (i.e. non-moving door textures) to trigger the transition. Some meta-data is needed to handle the transition itself and trigger the interior or exterior layout. Check the PlayerEnterExit script to see how DFTFU handles this.
3) Can someone suggest to me a tutiroal for scripting?
I don't know of any good C# tutorials built with Unity 5 in mind. I'm sure they're out there, maybe someone else can recommend some. For myself, I just like to start small and try to do something stupid. I break the problem down into small pieces and try to accomplish each part by itself and make them work together.
4) Is it possible to create my own landmass?
Sort of. The streaming world is designed to roll out the Daggerfall world specifically, but there's nothing stopping you from hacking together another solution. You can also implement your own TerrainSampler interface to completely change how terrain is procedurally generated. Nystul uses this to good effect in his enhanced terrain mod. Check out the other samplers for examples on how to do this. I still need to write a tutorial for this, I'm sorry.
5) Is it possible for my to create a race/class/race/etc?
Partially possible. You can create your own classes by adding them into code, but they won't link back to Daggerfall itself as the core game files only know about the built-in races. There might be a solution for this down the road, as adding custom races and classes (by replacing another race/class) was always a popular hack in Daggerfall.

Just so you know, the upcoming 0.3 release will introduce a modding framework by Lypyl. This will make some things a bit easier, but still needs a good working knowledge of Unity, Daggerfall, and scripting. I'm going to drop another DFTFU update at the same time and will make a big effort to add some more tutorials - especially for the terrain samplers.

I hope that was of some help at least. All the best. :)

Kingoscruff

Post by Kingoscruff »

Thank you, yes, it helps :)

AshSlave

Post by AshSlave »

For scripting tutorial, why not http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting? I learned C# as my first programming language there. Don't remember it to be difficult.