what happened to sneak/stealth mode?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
rasonage

what happened to sneak/stealth mode?

Post by rasonage »

Apologies all around if this was answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I could have sworn that there was a key binding for sneaking/stealth mode and crouching was somehting for traversal... but when I try to configure my controls, I don't see an option for sneak/stealth... only steal and that doesn't seem to have an affect on movement speed or enemies detecting me. I am using Alpha 0.10.7.
here's a screenshot of my controls configuration (I'm left handed with the mouse if you wonder why I have a lot of key bindings near the keypad), no sneak mode:
Daggerfall_unity_nosneak.png
Daggerfall_unity_nosneak.png (927.53 KiB) Viewed 3212 times

pango

Re: what happened to sneak/stealth mode?

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums rasonage!

In classic getting "sneak" or "look around" actions depends on the "Mouse look" setting, but I'm not sure how it translates to Daggerfall Unity, given that so far mouse look has been hardcoded...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

rasonage

Post by rasonage »

Thank you, thank you... loving the community here so far. (loving the game even more!)

That's another question I wanted to ask... mouse look is always on, which is ok (but useless to have a key assigned to it since I can't turn it off), but when I'm swinging my weapon around, it sure would be handy if the turn keys worked (that's how I "got gud" with keyboard and mouse, was classic daggerfall swinging a sword while circle strafing)... right now it doesn't matter what I put them at, I can't turn with key assignment.

But first things first... sneak mode, how do I get around the mouse look issue you mentioned? holding the mouse look key doesn't slow me down or prevent enemies from noticing me either. :?:

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

There is no sneak/stealth mode in neither classic Daggerfall nor DFU. Stealt skill always used passively, when you walk by the enemy. Here I suggested a feature for Roleplay & Realism mod pack to make Stealth mode use interactive.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

sneak is usually L-Alt. I have noticed that it is omitted from some menus.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

ConnectedGamers

Sneak key missing?

Post by ConnectedGamers »

Not sure if this is an intended function or not. Tried to google/serach on these forums for an answer but got conflicting information from stating it was the alt key (claimed both left and right somehow from two different sources) that it was changed to be crouching for DFU and that it was the same as usual. Can't find the keybind when checking controls. Screenshot attached in my DFU version to help show that it is not in my keybinding.

Additionally it seems as though all the keys I try do not make me 'walk'/move as slow as one would in original Daggerfall for sneak. Sorry if I have missed something obvious, and thank you ahead of time for your help.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2390 times

Ralzar

Re: Sneak key missing?

Post by Ralzar »

Did the Sneak key actually do anything? It made you walk slower?

What does Slide do?

ConnectedGamers

Post by ConnectedGamers »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 am Did the Sneak key actually do anything? It made you walk slower?

What does Slide do?
That's what I mean though, DFU seems to be lacking the key binding for the sneak key. What is should do is make you move slower which improves sneak chance.

Slide is just the movement options.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

That is odd. I remember distinctly a Sneak key. In DFU. Recently.

OH, and with the advent of WASD movement, the Slide key needs to be retired. Possibly replaced by a Dive or Roll which executes like a Crouch + Leap forward movement.
Last edited by Jeoshua on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

ConnectedGamers wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:52 am That's what I mean though, DFU seems to be lacking the key binding for the sneak key. What is should do is make you move slower which improves sneak chance.
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before on the forums and been confirmed that Sneak does not actually affect Stealth checks. It should, but t doesn't. It's one of many things that should be included in a Stealth/Thief mod.

Btw, might it be that this is the DREAM keybind window and the vanilla keybind window has the Sneak key?