Magic item with wrong name.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
hannafamilycomputer

Magic item with wrong name.

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

I got a "Short shirt of leaping" from a random loot pile...
Except it says it increases the dragonish skill when held.

I am using daggerfall unity 64bit win10 , with the persistent dungeons mod.

Hazelnut

Re: Magic item with wrong name.

Post by Hazelnut »

Any chance of a save file so we can look at the item data?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I have seen quite a few "items of leaping" that raise Dragonish, I just never paid much attention to them they usually end in my wagon or sold.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is the same as classic. "Leaping" is the odd choice Bethesda put to "increase Dragonish" on magic items.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:15 pm This is the same as classic. "Leaping" is the odd choice Bethesda put to "increase Dragonish" on magic items.
Someone may say that Leaping for Increase Dragonish and Venom Spitting for Levitate are classic Daggerfall bugs :lol: ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I have a leaping wrap found by one of my test characters which casts levitate when used, so leaping is sometimes used for something sensible... wonder if it's specifically item of leaping is dragonish, rather than leaping item.

Looking at the magic item templates, there's only an entry for 'leaping item' and none for 'item of leaping' so I have no idea how it's being generated, unless it was imported from classic?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

One of the UESP notes says:
The "Leaping" and "Venom Spitting" items were very likely misnamed by the developers. This error was fixed by a third-party patch.
I'd assume it was imported from a fixed version of classic.

pango

Post by pango »

Just seen on a DFU 0.11.0 stream, a shirt identified as a "Short Tunic of Venom Spitting" that "Cast When Used Levitate".
This is not an imported game. The streamer told me classic Daggerfall was installed using DaggerfallSetup.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't see this issue with DFU 0.11.0 and DaggerfallGameFiles for data. Try "add magic 100" a few times from console and checking each "of Venom Spitting" item added (will need to identify items first). These items are always "Enhances Skill Dragonish" for me.

The magic item templates in DFU are drawn from MagicItemTemplates.txt which is bundled JSON data. See index 1802 for "%it of Venom Spitting". It's definitely Enhances Skill Dragonish (7=Dragonish), not a Levitate spell.

The only way I can see this happening is if user has imported character from an unpatched version of classic. Our magic data just isn't configured any other way.

venom-spitting.JPG
venom-spitting.JPG (78.82 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

Of course, I'm happy to be wrong if it means something we can fix. I'm just not sure to reproduce as DFU should literally never generate an item that way. :?

pango

Post by pango »

Well, the whole run has been recorded on stream, so it's definitely not imported.
Would a game save, or anything else help diagnose the issue?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart