Hircine's quest bugged

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jimfcarroll

Hircine's quest bugged

Post by jimfcarroll »

Hello,

I have a save file (see attached) right before summoning Hircine. When I summon him and he offers the quest, I never get the dialog to accept or refuse. The game becomes stuck here and the only way out is to force the window closed.

This happens on both the Alpha released version and the current master.

Jim
Attachments
SAVE39.7z
(554.02 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

jimfcarroll

Re: Hircine's quest bugged

Post by jimfcarroll »

I also tried it with all of the mods disabled and got the same thing.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I just tested this, and it's working fine as far as I can tell. There is no popup - at the following prompt, press either Y or N to accept or reject the quest. Is that not working for you?

hircineyn.jpg
hircineyn.jpg (350.44 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Wow. I'm really sorry for wasting your time. I expected a dialog to popup like on every other quest and thought I was stuck. I didn't realize it was looking for me to answer with a Y or N.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Still though. It's SUCH a weird thing about Daggerfall that everything is based on popup boxes with YES/NO buttons except sometimes having to press "y" or "n" instead.
I am assuming this is some kind of coding workaround that they never got the time to fix.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

The same happened to me while summoning Hermeus Mora. The first time I played, I thought the game had crashed 😅😂
The second time, I had the idea to directly type the answer, so I found out how to proceed. 😃

I agree, this is very confusing.

pango

Post by pango »

Well, all thru the game such questions are asked with a YES/NO prompt, but it is very bulky, and I assume that's why Daggerfall authors were reluctant to use it here, hiding the graphics... and probably preventing the animation to work too, because I don't think the UI components let you have something running in background while waiting for user input...

I just had an idea, it looks cheap to implement, wouldn't change the game appearance much, but for this very reason I wonder if it would be sufficient...

What if a blinking cursor, say like the one used when you have to type an amount in the banking interface, was added after the text at the time when the game is actually waiting for a Yes or No answer? Do you think it would be sufficient to convey that the game hasn't crashed and is actually waiting for the player?

One limit of this approach, is that after localization support, one would have to guess that it's a yes/no question, and what keys need to be pressed; But I'm not sure there's always enough room after the different daedra princes questions to put a more elaborate prompt than just a cursor...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This matches classic. I think that a message box prompt would stop the animation and ruin the atmosphere of the summoning special quest presentation. I consider figuring out the Y/N response as an extra test the Daedric princes require you to pass! :P

This is a rare enough event that I don't think it warrants a setting to toggle classic/enhanced behaviour, and I would like to keep the classic way of doing this. If the consensus is that this is a real issue for players in 2019 then maybe an explanatory prompt could be displayed somewhere after 30s with no response from the player, that says to press Y or N keys to accept / decline the quest. That I wouldn't mind.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Another place that has the same problem and does not have the same mood killer argument:

The guards in the palaces like Daggerfall, where you have to say "y" before the doors open into the throneroom.