climbing controls?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
ceriux

climbing controls?

Post by ceriux »

hey i looked through the manual , but i couldnt find anything about climbing/repelling can anyone help me out?

jayhova

Re: climbing controls?

Post by jayhova »

Climbing is activated by just moving up to a wall and walking straight at it until you enter climbing mode. Repelling is a DFU add on were when standing at the top of a drop you can turn around and back off of it and automatically enter climbing / repelling mode. The best place to practice this is at the city wall.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

Right, I should add that all the repelling failures I've seen happened to people that were afraid to fall :)
Just walk backward in one go and repel mode with activate automatically.

Another thing worth mentioning: ladders.
In Daggerfall Unity I think you can climb ladders up or down like described above, however it's easier to simple use GRAB mode and click on the ladder to climb it automatically. That's how it worked in classic, and it still works great.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

lol i just tried to climb a roof next to the fighters guild and got launched into the sky xD

i can replicate it if you want ill make a save where im standing facing the wall i get launched off of?
Last edited by ceriux on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

pango wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:25 pm Another thing worth mentioning: ladders.
In Daggerfall Unity I think you can climb ladders up or down like described above, however it's easier to simple use GRAB mode and click on the ladder to climb it automatically. That's how it worked in classic, and it still works great.
Thanks, I had no idea that that's what GRAB does in classic :o I always used the regular climbing method
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

here's the save of the wall i go flying off of (maybe teleport i dont land back in town)

basically you just climb/repel on it over and over.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9f6fizm08wp6 ... 1.zip?dl=0

pango

Post by pango »

You can attach files directly into the forums using the "Attachments" tab below posts.

Anyway it was easy to reproduce (Advanced Climbing required):
  • Find a house with ledge-less roof;
  • press forward key to climb one of its walls;
  • character should climb the wall, then keep climbing on the roof even if you stop pressing forward key;
  • before reaching the rooftop, press to backward key;
  • Prof... no, find yourself high in the sky
I thought such bugs required hanging mode because of ledges, but ledges are not required...
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(123.41 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yeah sometimes you dont have to go backwards. i'v been launched into the air just my first attempt going up before. maybe it has to do with look angles?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You can also trigger that bug on pitched roofs by releasing forward during the final mantle where player is dragged up the roof automatically. It seems to be fine if you don't release forward until climb is fully complete.

I've not put much priority on it as it's someone else's code, part of an optional feature, and only intermittent. But it will get fixed eventually. Until then it can be avoided or advanced climbing disabled to prevent altogether.