Potion of Purification gives Invisibility?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ralzar

Potion of Purification gives Invisibility?

Post by Ralzar »

So, 2 things:

First of all: When drinking a Potion of Purification, I get the "You are invisible" message and a spell icon for it.

Secondly: Shouldn't Potion Of Purification cure both Disease and Poison? If it only cures Disease, why is it more expensive and requires a lot more ingredients? Seems like a bug by the original devs if this is how it works in vanilla.

pango

Re: Potion of Purification gives Invisibility?

Post by pango »

Yup, seems to be the effects of Potion of Purification in classic: heal, cure disease, invisibility

Cure Poison is type 3 subtype 1, Invisibility true is type 13 subtype 1 (cf SPELLS.STD), so could it have been a typo? Maybe...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oooh, that's a real insight there Pango!

I always thought it odd that Purification made you invisible... curing poison would make so much more sense.

Very happy to change this, but will need a consensus to be changed in core. If not, I will change it in my R&R mod. (assuming I can override a base potion)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Haha, wow. That makes a lot of sense.
For my game I wound up just drinking a potion of purification and then editing the savegame to get rid of the poison :P

pango

Post by pango »

Even if alchemy is not supposed to be exactly additive, potion ingredients are consistent with Purification including Invisibility though:
Potion ingredients.jpg
Potion ingredients.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
I like how Purification has two recipes, including one that requires 2 Elixir Vitae instead of one for the other :roll:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Only one of the two listed recipes for each potion was ever implemented. Purification is: Elixir, Nectar, Rain, Fix, Big Tooth, Ectoplasm, Diamond, Mummy Wraps.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I just got reminded of this old thread.

Fixing Potion Of Purification to not grant Invisibility, but do Cure Poison instead seems like a good idea?

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

I went looking to see how the PoP worked in other TES games to get a perspective on it's evolution.

In Arena2, PoP Heals Health, cures Poison and gives Sanctuary (chance to be ignored by foes).
In Oblivion it was replaced by separate Cure Disease, Cure Poison, and Invisibility potions.

So, the Invisibility would appear to be intentional to replace the Sanctuary effect from Arena2.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am Fixing Potion Of Purification to not grant Invisibility, but do Cure Poison instead seems like a good idea?
Doesn't seem to be any consensus for changing core, and really it should remain like classic. I forgot all about this but I will look at changing this in next R&R mod release. I know I can add a new potion, just not sure I can replace the existing one.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Nice. I just saw someone on reddit asking about that potion, which reminded me that I made a thread about it.